Pre-Event Fueling Demystified
BY ENDURANCE NEWS STAFF
When it comes to smart pre-event meals, there are lots to choose from. The trick is to select something that helps, not hurts, your race day performance. Several Hammer Nutrition sponsored athletes sent us their suggestions, and we’ve used them to put together a delectable pre event “menu.” Whether you choose one of these meals or come up with a healthy recipe of your own, follow the Hammer Nutrition guidelines for race-day success.
- Eat at least three hours prior to your event to allow for complete digestion and the most efficient utilization of your body’s finite supply of muscle glycogen.
- Stay in the 200-400 calorie range.
- Focus on complex carbohydrates, starches, and a little protein.
- Avoid consuming high fiber, simple sugars, and high fat.
- Supplements taken prior to the start of an event—such as Race Caps Supreme, Mito Caps, Anti-Fatigue Caps, or Endurance Amino—are okay to take on an empty stomach.
- Don’t sacrifice sleep to eat—a better strategy than eating significant calories 1-2 hours prior to a long-duration race is to consume 1-2 servings of Hammer Gel 5-10 minutes prior to the start. Then begin fueling within 30 minutes after your start if possible.