Omega-3 Fatty Acids
A Key Link to Healthy Aging
BY STEVE BORN
It's safe to say that people don't want to just live longer; they want to enjoy a more vibrant and healthy longevity. The good news is that researchers appear to have uncovered a vital link that may help us to enjoy healthier aging.
The authors of a recent US study published in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) define healthy aging as living a meaningful lifespan without chronic diseases and with intact physical and mental function. The results of this study reveal that higher blood levels of the omega-3 fatty acids found primarily in fish are associated with a greater likelihood of aging without these serious issues.
Researchers analyzed data from over 2,600 healthy adults, average age 74, who took part in the US Cardiovascular Health study from 1992 to 2015. Blood levels of N-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) - eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), docosapentaenoicacid (DPA), and alpha linolenic acid (ALA) - were measured, first when the study began, then 6 and 13 years later.
Over a 22-year period from the start of the study, 89% of the study participants developed chronic diseases and/or experienced various aspects of mental decline. The other 11% enjoyed a longer life free of cancer, heart disease, or other serious physical issues or mental decline. Those participants were the ones that had the highest blood levels of omega-3 fatty acids, primarily EPA. Compared to those with the lowest omega-3 levels, participants with the highest levels were seen to have up to a 24% decreased risk of unhealthy aging.
It should be noted that higher blood levels of ALA, the plant-derived omega-3, were not associated with this decreased risk of healthier aging. This is most likely because this particular omega-3needs to be converted into EPA and DHA in order to become active. Unfortunately, this conversion process is highly inefficient in humans, with only about 5% able to be converted into EPA, and as little as 0.5% being converted into DHA. Fish oil is pre-formed and readily available EPA and DHA, no conversion process is required, which is why it is the ideal way to obtain these all-important omega-3 fatty acids.
Healthy aging is living a meaningful lifespan without chronic diseases and with intact physical and mental function.
Of course, many variables factor into whether or not one enjoys a longer life with less risk of chronic disease or deteriorating mental capacity and capabilities. However, this study suggests that maintaining optimal levels of omega-3 fatty acids may be a highly effective step to take to help ensure a long and healthy life.
As mentioned earlier, these omega-3 essential fatty acids are primarily found naturally in fish; however, consumption of fish two to three times a week, while being an extremely wise strategy, is simply not possible for most of us. And even if it were, finding high-quality fish to consume on a regular basis - given the contaminant levels in today's oceans and other bodies of water - makes reaching that goal even more difficult.
EndurOmega supplies your body with the essential fatty acids it needs in a safe and convenient form. It contains molecularly distilled and deodorized fish oil, free from all fishy odor and taste, and tested via third-party independent laboratories to guarantee a potent, pure and safe product.View PDF