5 Reasons Every Athlete Must Supplement
Supplementation is one of the surest ways to achieve great health and peak performance
BY RACHEL PELC
Diet alone is not enough to get all of the vitamins and nutrients your body needs. As we have previously reported here in Endurance News, the notion of eating a "balanced diet" for a strong, healthy body is a myth. Yes, the foods you consume will provide some nutrients, calories, satiation, pleasure, etc. But that's not enough in our modern world.
Many factors - including depleted agricultural soils, increased consumption of processed foods, and busy schedules - have contributed to our inability to ingest all of the nutrients we need. While eating a diet that includes plenty of vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, and low GI (glycemic index) starches and grains is still extremely important to fuel your body on a daily basis, here are five excellent reasons to supplement your healthy diet:
1. Get the "essentials." Supplements like Premium Insurance Caps can provide the essential nutrients that your body needs to function properly and that it cannot make on its own (or can't make rapidly on its own). Essential vitamins include A, D, E, and K as well as the B-complex vitamins and vitamin C. There are also 16 essential minerals that your body needs to help regulate various processes for it to function. For endurance athletes, replenishing these nutrients is imperative, especially during peak training periods when you want your body to perform at its best.
2. Feel better. The ingredients in multivitamin supplements such as the Hammer Daily Essentials (Premium Insurance Caps, Mito Caps,Race Caps Supreme, and EndurOmega) have been proven to boost immunity and increase the body's efficiency. So when the nasty cold/flu bug hits, your body will be prepared. Taking supplements can also help alleviate or prevent gastrointestinal problems. Ever get the winter blues? Symptoms of seasonal affect disorder (SAD) include fatigue, depression, and weight gain - potentially linked to the craving of starchy foods. According to Dr. Jonathan Prousky, chief naturopathic medical officer at the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine, consuming omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin D can help reduce depression and other symptoms of SAD during the winter months.
3. Look better. Need we say more? Vitamin A has been proven to aid in the replenishment of skin cells, hair growth, and maintenance of healthy teeth and gums. Beta-carotene and vitamins C, E, and A protect against free radicals that can harm skin cells and cause signs of aging, as well as boost collagen production. The minerals calcium and iron are crucial for healthy teeth and gums. Folic acid and B-complex vitamins also assist with hair health and growth.
4. Perform better. The nutrients in EndurOmega, Mito Caps, and Race Caps Supreme have been linked to improved muscle mass and function as well as higher energy levels during workouts, increased endurance, and decreased soreness. The Coenzyme Q10 and Idebenone in Race Caps are important fuels that aid energy production and speed recovery. Mito Caps benefit mitochondria function, which means improved athletic performance according to Dr. Bruce Ames, Ph.D.
5. Enjoy life, longer. Vitamins and minerals help eliminate free radical carcinogens and support the overall health of the cardiovascular, digestive, circulatory, and other systems. According to a Rush University Medical Center study, the brain-protective nutrients vitamin K, lutein, folate, and beta-carotene were linked to slower cognitive decline.
Adding high-quality supplements to your healthy diet is a "winning" combination.
Meet our new staff nutritionist!
We're very pleased to introduce our new staff nutritionist, Rachel Pelc. A member of the American Dietetic Association, Rachel is a trained and licensed nutritionist with a degree in Community Health from Carroll College. Before joining the Hammer Nutrition team, Rachel worked as a personal trainer and health coach with a focus on nutrition, and as a nutrition counselor.
"I am so excited to be a part of an organization that truly stands behind providing wholesome and nutritious products to their customers, along with the education and experience to guide them toward a more healthy life," she says. Rachel is available to help you create a nutritional plan that will result in better health and athletic performance; help you solve nutrition issues through diet and supplementation; and/or suggest simple changes for weight control. Call 800.336.1977 to request a free, personal consultation with Rachel.View PDF