- Relieves muscle spasms, cramps and tightness
- Supports optimal blood sugar and blood pressure
- Deepens sleep
With studies suggesting that over 80% of us are deficient in magnesium (Mg), and with this mineral being so crucially involved in hundreds of bodily functions, it’s no wonder why we named our product Essential Mg. Combining five forms of highly bioavailable magnesium, Essential Mg supplies your body with pure, optimally absorbable magnesium, free of the side effects typical of inferior forms. Supplement daily with Essential Mg and enjoy the myriad benefits this “key to health and life” mineral provides.
Magnesium Bisglycinate is magnesium chelated (i.e. “bonded”) to the amino acid glycine. It is the form of magnesium considered to have the least potential of causing a laxative effect.
Magnesium Succinate is magnesium chelated to succinic acid, a Krebs cycle intermediate.
Magnesium Citrate is magnesium chelated to citric acid, a Krebs cycle intermediate.
Magnesium Malate is magnesium chelated to malic acid, a Krebs cycle intermediate.
Magnesium Taurinate is magnesium chelated to the amino acid taurine.
|Serving Size: 2 Capsules |
Servings Per Container: 60
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value*|
(as Magnesium Bisglycinate, Magnesium Succinate, Magnesium Malate, Magnesium Taurinate and Magnesium Citrate)
| * The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.|
† Daily Value not established.
|Other Ingredients: Rice Complex (Oryza Sativa), Vegetable Capsules (plant cellulose and water) |
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Great for everyday use.
This is a much needed supplement that is often overlooked. I would not be without it. It helps sleep and eliminates cramping.
Hi Debra, thank for leaving a review. We're glad to hear that you've found success with Essential Mg. Hammer on!
Ever since I started taking it before bedtime, Hammer magnesium has provided me with countless nights of restful, rejuvenating sleep. I can't recommend this product enough!
It works great for long bike rides and other endurance sports
I have taken magnesium in a capsule form in a couple different products, they all resulted in intestinal upset(gas). I finally went to a magnesium oil spray without the unpleasant side effects. Do some of the users of this product report the same effect when taking this product?
- Asked by Michelle
- Verified Reply - SteveThere are some forms of magnesium--primarily the oxide and citrate forms--that have a higher potential for intestinal upset and also for having a laxative effect, especially when taken in higher doses. We do use the citrate form in Essential Mg (it's a very well-absorbed form), but not in high amounts as compared to the other 4 forms in the product, and we do not use the oxide form at all because it is a poorly absorbed form of magnesium. Intestinal discomfort/laxative effect can also be cause by a dose that is a bit too high for the body at a given time. Everyone is different, but until the body has adjusted to magnesium dosing it usually requires a single dose of 300-400 mg or more for this to occur. Each capsule of Essential Mg contains 100 mg of elemental magnesium from 5 different sources, the main one being the bisglycinate form, which is purported to have the least amount of laxative potential. With bisglycinate leading the way in Essential Mg, with no magnesium oxide and a minimal amount of magnesium citrate in the product, and with a more modest dose per capsule, as compared to some products--which are as high as 400 mg per capsule--we have had no reports of gas or other intestinal discomforts from clients using Essential Mg.
Is the magnesium certified gluten free?
- Asked by Brad
- Verified Reply - Hammer SteveWhile there is no specific "certification status" given to Essential Mg, it is 100% gluten free. None of the forms of magnesium in Essential Mg come from any gluten-containing plant source; thus, there is zero gluten in it.
Hello, The usage instructions state to take 2 capsules twice a day. Are there any recommended times to take them? After a workout? Before bedtime? After waking up? Before a workout? etc. Thanks in advance for your advice.
- Asked by RunForrestRun
- Verified Reply - Hammer SteveWhile our usage suggestions are for 2 capsules twice daily, building up to a higher amount of 600 mg - 800 mg of magnesium a day (6-8 capsules in divided doses) is something we highly recommend working towards. The Optimal Daily Intake (ODI) of magnesium is 500 - 750 mg, with even higher amounts (upwards of 1000 mg/day) recommended for helping prevent conditions such as osteoporosis. In his hallmark paper, "Magnesium: The Key to Health and Life," James South writes, "Magnesium expert Mildred Seelig discovered that for most people, at least 6 milligrams magnesium per kilogram of body weight is necessary to ensure a positive magnesium balance. This is roughly 2.7 milligrams magnesium per pound of body weight. For those under severe chronic stress, or who are engaged in strenuous work/athletic training that promotes intense sweating even higher levels might be required, up to 10 milligrams per kilogram of body weight, or 4.5 milligrams per pound." Keeping in mind that this study goes back to 1964, with our magnesium needs surely having increased since that time, this suggests a dose of 405 mg - 675 mg of magnesium daily for a 150-lb. athlete. Magnesium toxicity is rare, except in people with kidney failure. Toxicity symptoms have appeared in subjects taking 9,000 mg of magnesium... that's the amount in 75 bottles of Essential Mg. Nausea and diarrhea are the most common effects of consuming too much magnesium in a single dose, so start with lower amounts of 100-200 mg. All this said, if you start at 2 capsules twice daily, two very good times to take them are after a workout (see https://www.hammernutrition.com/blog/a-powerful-pair-for-insulin-resistanace/ for more) and prior to bed. Taken at night, magnesium has a calming effect on the nerves and muscles, and can provide real benefits for anyone suffering from night cramping. As you can probably tell, there really isn't a wrong time to take Essential Mg, and once you've been on a 4-capsule-per-day regimen for a while, definitely consider increasing your daily amount so that you may receive even more benefits.