Support Your Health! Stay Active, Exercise Regularly, and Use Hammer Whey Protein
It’s very odd to write an article for athletes and active people that starts with “stay active” and “exercise regularly.” We do that all of the time anyway, don’t we? In the current situation we’re in—being asked to be “socially distant” (can’t want for that phrase to go the way of the dodo bird), and even being told to consider not going outside at all—it’s no longer odd. It’s an important reminder of something we all should endeavor doing for both physical and mental health.
The whole idea of “being outside and being active is good for you” is pretty much a no-brainer; however, there are studies available that show that very thing. One such research  analyzed data of nearly 850 adults involved in 11 different studies. Not surprisingly, the results showed that compared with exercising indoors, exercising outdoors “in natural environments was associated with greater feelings of revitalization, increased energy and positive engagement, together with decreases in tension, confusion, anger and depression. Participants also reported greater enjoyment and satisfaction with outdoor activity and stated that they were more likely to repeat the activity at a later date.” All of these benefits are things we need as we work through our current situation.
The benefits of being outdoors and breathing in fresh air are obvious. Exercising outdoors and in the sunshine provides the body with vitamin D, which offers many benefits, including these two significant ones:
- Sufficient vitamin D levels stimulate the production of mood-elevating serotonin. 
- Sufficient body levels of vitamin D are associated with better sleep. One meta-analysis concluded: “Vitamin D deficiency is associated with a higher risk of sleep disorders in the population.” 
Hammer Whey Protein—Multiple benefits for your health
When it comes to protein selection, while taking nothing away from other sources (e.g. vegan), my #1 pick is whey protein isolate, the kind we use in Hammer Whey Protein. Here are two especially-specific-for-today reasons:
- Extraordinary immune-system boosting properties. Whey protein contains excellent levels of glutamic acid, cysteine, and glycine—the three amino acids required for glutathione production. Glutathione is considered by many experts to be the number one antioxidant of all. Another amino acid that we add to Hammer Whey Protein, glutamine (6 grams per scoop), supplies numerous benefits for overall health, including being yet another precursor for the bodily production of glutathione. [4, 5] Additionally, whey contains special proteins called immunoglobulins that stimulate immune function.
- Improved mood. Though not usually discussed among whey protein’s chief benefits (perhaps because they’re so many), whey protein helps improve mood. Research has shown that a component in whey protein, alpha-lactalbumin, raised brain serotonin activity and coping ability and improved mood under stress. 
Additional benefits of Hammer Whey Protein:
- Superiority in protein measurement standards. No matter what measurement of protein quality is used—Biological Value (BV), Protein Efficiency Ratio (PER), Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score (PDCAAS), or Net Protein Utilization (NPU)—whey protein comes out on top, with whey protein isolate being the preferred form of whey protein. Hammer Whey Protein is 100% whey protein isolate. [7, 8, 9]
- The richest source of all nine essential amino acids. Histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine are designated as “essential” amino acids because they cannot be made by the body and must be obtained from outside sources. Whey protein isolate has the highest volume of all nine essential amino acids, including the all-important branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs). [8, 10]
Now more than ever, given this current situation of heightened awareness for potentially getting sick, as well as the stress associated with the current state of affairs, we all need to maintain our fitness program. Doing so will maintain strong immunity, as well as helping keep us calm and in a positive frame of mind. If possible, do your workouts outside where you can enjoy the added benefits of clean air and sunshine. Put the best finishing touches possible ASAP after your workouts with whey protein isolate-based Recoverite, followed by Hammer Whey Protein at another time of the day. Hint: One serving before bedtime is an outstanding time for a serving of Hammer Whey Protein. See https://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/advanced-knowledge/elevate-hgh-while-sleeping for more details.
- J. Thompson Coon, K. Boddy, K. Stein, R. Whear, J. Barton, M. H. Depledge. Does Participating in Physical Activity in Outdoor Natural Environments Have a Greater Effect on Physical and Mental Wellbeing than Physical Activity Indoors? A Systematic Review. Environmental Science & Technology, 2011; 110203115102046 DOI: 10.1021/es102947t
- Kent KD, Harper WJ, Bomser JA. Effect of whey protein isolate on intracellular glutathione and oxidant-induced cell death in human prostate epithelial cells. Toxicol In Vitro. 2003 Feb;17(1):27-33.
- Bounous G, Gervais F, Amer V, Batist G, Gold P. The influence of dietary whey protein on tissue glutathione and the diseases of aging. Clin Invest Med. 1989;12:343-9.
- Markus CR, Olivier B, Panhuysen GE, et al. The bovine protein alpha-lactalbumin increases the plasma ratio of tryptophan to the other large neutral amino acids, and in vulnerable subjects raises brain serotonin activity, reduces cortisol concentration, and improves mood under stress. Am J Clin Nutr. 2000 Jun;71(6): 1536-44.