Recovery is Key! Make it Count with Recoverite!
BY STEVE BORN
In the nearly 20 years that I’ve been at Hammer Nutrition, one of the questions I continue to receive with the most frequency is something along the lines of, “What is the easiest way for me to be a better athlete?” While that’s a fairly broad question, with a number of totally feasible and logical answers, the one that I always first offer in return is, “Make sure you’re doing everything you can to recover properly between your workouts, starting with replenishing your body with fuel ASAP.”
I think that makes total sense because, while everything we do in our workouts is obviously very important, all of the gains that we hope to make occur in the time in between our workouts. When we take the necessary steps to make sure our body is given the opportunity to recover completely, it can’t help but respond wonderfully, rewarding us with better fitness.
The key to optimizing recovery is kick-starting the process right away by replenishing the body with high-quality fuel as soon as possible after the workout has been completed. Resupply the body with high-quality carbohydrates and protein within the first 30 minutes (the sooner, the better) and here’s what happens:
- The muscle cells will be restocked with fuel so that you have it on board and ready to serve you for tomorrow’s workout. In fact, the more consistently you train AND resupply the body with fuel, your body will respond by storing more and more minutes of fuel in the muscles. That means you’ll have more available fuel when you toe the line for your big event, and that’s a definite advantage!
- Your muscle tissue has the raw materials it needs to become stronger, which allows you to make increases in your training volume and intensity without your muscles taking such a beating.
- The amount of soreness that you experience between now and the next workout will be greatly diminished. So instead of worrying about whether or not you’ll even be able to get out of bed, you’ll be ready for the next day’s workout.
- Your immune system gets stronger instead of going in the tank. When you finish a workout, your immune system is “on the fence.” Supplying your body with fuel ASAP after a training session will absolutely tip the scales in favor of stronger immunity, helping you to avoid missing important training sessions due to sickness.
Recoverite/Organic Vegan Recoverite makes it easy and does it ideally!
When you take recovery seriously, as by now you know you should, you soon realize that you can’t just eat whatever you want and hope to make any forward progress in your fitness. Unfortunately, some athletes do just that, consuming whatever’s convenient, assuming that “Anything will work. Calories are calories, right?” Wrong! You simply cannot hope to make improvements in your athletic performance or support optimal health if you “put garbage in the gas tank.”
To replenish your body with the high-quality fuel it’s begging for after a workout, you want to reach for Recoverite—either in the original whey protein isolate-containing formula, or our newer formulation, Organic Vegan Recoverite.
The original Recoverite contains complex carbs (maltodextrin) and whey protein isolate in a 3:1 ratio, 3 grams of glutamine, a full-spectrum electrolyte profile, and key recovery-beneficial nutrients. Ever since its introduction 15 years ago, thousands of thoroughly satisfied athletes have proven that there isn’t a more potently effective recovery drink than Recoverite.
Organic Vegan Recoverite contains the same ingredients in the same amounts as the original Recoverite formula, with the exception that organic pea protein is the protein source. While not as bioavailable as whey protein isolate (nothing is), organic pea protein is an easily digested, gluten-free protein with an excellent amino acid profile, containing excellent levels of BCAA’s (leucine, isoleucine, valine), three key recovery-enhancing amino acids.
Either option you choose will provide your body with the nutrition it needs so that it can recover thoroughly between workouts. And it’s so easy! As soon as your workout is completed, mix a couple scoops of either Recoverite formula into 4-8 ounces of cold water (more, if desired), drink, and you’re done. You’ve now put the best possible “finishing touches” on your workout and the recovery process has started in earnest.
"THIS IS MY GO-TO FOR RECOVERY!"
"The best—period. Nothing else works as well. I feel fresh and strong the next day. Great taste. Great product! Highly recommend." -Online Review
What we do in training is definitely important, no question about it, but if we neglect to consistently take the proper steps to recover properly, we will never get the full value out of the time and energy spent in training. Remember, the gains we make in our training occur during recovery, but only in the presence of adequate rest and optimal nutritional support. If we don’t attend to that, we not only miss out on the benefits of our workouts, we can create more problems such as getting sick or injured.
In all my years at Hammer Nutrition, working with thousands of athletes, I remain convinced that if they recovered properly between their workouts and races—starting with “refilling the tank” with quality fuel ASAP—they would:
- Be able to increase training volume and intensity without compromising the muscular and immune systems
- Experience a lot less sick days
- Enjoy more personal bests in races