Hammer Whey Protein
The Superior Protein for Supreme Health and Recovery
BY STEVE BORN
When asked, What protein do you consider to be the best? my answer has always been whey protein isolate (with allowances made for specific dietary requirements). I believe that of all the protein sources available - animal or plant - whey protein isolate has a number of benefits and features that make it the premier protein source.
1) Superiority in protein measurement standards
- Biological Value (BV) - This is a standard that measures how well the body absorbs and utilizes a protein. Of all protein sources, whey has the highest BV, with whey protein isolate having an outstanding rating of 154, and whey protein concentrate having a 104 rating. (Egg protein also has an excellent BV, with whole eggs rating 100 and egg whites/albumin rating 88. Of the plant-derived proteins, rice has the highest BV at 83.)
- Protein Efficiency Ratio (PER) - While admittedly of limited application to humans, PER (a method of evaluating food's protein quality) shows that whey protein ranks the highest with a rating of 3.6.
- Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score (PDCAAS) - Nutritionists who dismiss the PER often use the PDCAAS for evaluating human protein requirements. According to this method, which utilizes an amino acid requirement profile derived from human subjects, an ideal protein is one that meets all of the essential amino acid requirements for humans. It receives a rating of 1.0. Three protein sources - whey, soy, and egg - have a 1.0 PDCAAS ranking.
- Net Protein Utilization (NPU) - This measurement refers to the percentage of amino acids consumed that are eventually converted into proteins and utilized by the body. In this measurement, egg protein and whey protein are clearly superior to any other protein source, with NPU ratings of 94 and 92, respectively.
Bottom line: When all four measurements are taken into account - Biological Value (BV) arguably being the most important - whey protein comes out on top, with whey protein isolate being the preferable form of whey protein. Hammer Whey Protein is 100% whey protein isolate.
2) Richest source of all nine essential amino acids
There are nine essential amino acids - histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine - that cannot be made by the body and must be obtained from outside sources. Whey protein isolate has the highest volume of all nine essential amino acids, including the all-important branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs), the primary amino acids involved in stimulating muscle growth and maintenance. In addition, research indicates that the BCAAs in whey mimic many of the longevity benefits of calorie restriction.
3) Extraordinary immunity-boosting properties
Whey protein contains excellent levels of glutamic acid, cysteine, and glycine - the three amino acids required for glutathione production. Many researchers rate glutathione as the number one antioxidant. Ward Dean, MD, a leading nutritional scientist, says, Glutathione is present in nearly all living cells, and without it they can't survive¦ glutathione has major effects on health at the molecular, cellular and organ levels. Additionally, whey contains special proteins called immunoglobulins that stimulate immune function.
4) Powerful weight loss/weight control support
Unlike other protein sources, whey protein has unique properties that help promote weight loss. Find out more in the article A Great Whey to Lose Weight
5) Many other significant health-promoting benefits
Research has shown that whey protein plays a major role in:
- Supporting bone growth
- Reducing cholesterol
- Balancing mood and enhancing cognitive function
- Reducing inflammation and hypertension
- Boosting beneficial GI bacteria
- Boosting glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity for warding off type II diabetes
- Protecting against cancer
- And more!
Consuming multiple protein sources is a practice we highly recommend. Unless you have strict dietary restrictions or requirements, make sure to include whey protein isolate in your diet. Containing only 100% whey protein isolate, along with 6 grams of the multi-beneficial amino acid glutamine per serving, Hammer Whey Protein is the perfect way to ensure you obtain adequate amounts of whey protein isolate and enjoy the plentiful benefits this powerful protein source provides.