As a man ages it's common for the prostate gland to become enlarged, with cyclists being especially at risk. If you're over 40 years old, or if you cycle regularly, PSA Caps is a must-have supplement for you.
The PSA Formula
- Beta Sitosterol - This plant sterol inhibits 5-alpha reductase, the enzyme that converts testosterone to harmful dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and aromatase, an enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of testosterone to unwanted harmful estrogens, estradiol and estrone. Beta sitosterol has been demonstrated to improve urine flow velocity in men with enlarged prostate, while also providing anti-inflammatory effects in prostate tissue, which helps reduce an enlarged prostate.
- Saw Palmetto Extract (Seronoa repens) - The extract from this plant (a creeping palm with a trunk that lies on or just below the ground surface) is a frequently used herbal treatment for enhancing prostate health. Saw Palmetto (320 mg per day) inhibits 5-Alpha Reductase, the enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), reducing DHT by 66% in the periurethral region of the prostate gland, and by 50% in the prostate gland. Saw Palmetto also reduces epidermal growth factor (EGF).
- Stinging Nettle (Urtica dioica Root Extract 4:1) - The active ingredient in this herb-like shrub inhibits the ability of epidermal growth factor (EGF) to bind to its receptors in the prostate and to subsequently stimulate the growth of prostate tissue (a key underlying factor in the progression of enlarged prostate).
- Epilobium (small flower willow) - Epilobium contains two polyphenols (Oenothein A, Oenothein B), which inhibit the 5-alpha reductase enzyme conversion of testosterone to DHT. Epilobium also inhibits aromatase from converting testosterone to estrogens, which happens in older males as they age, helping to reduced harmful DHT, estradiol, and estrone levels, which are known to contribute to prostate-related disorders. Epilobium also inhibits two types of prostaglandin 2's (especially E-2), which have undesirable pro-inflammatory effects.
- Lycopene - This member of the carotenoid family (it produces the red/reddish color in tomatoes, watermelon, pink grapefruit, guava & papaya) is a powerful antioxidant that protects the Deoxyribonucleic Acid (DNA) content of lymphocytes (cells found in the blood, lymph, and lymphoid tissues) from oxidative damage. Research reports that endurance cyclists suffer from prostate disorders, erectile dysfunction, reduced sperm motility, and reduced sperm counts. Using 50 volunteers with low active sperm counts, researchers gave subjects 8 mg/d of lycopene during this one-year study; 35 patients experienced an improvement in sperm count, and 30 had improved functional sperm concentrations. There was a 36% pregnancy rate among the participants' partners by the end of the study.
- Alanine, Glutamic Acid, Glycine - These amino acids, when taken for 14 days or more, minimized the symptoms of enlarged prostate. In order to positively affect/influence several hormonal pathways involving prostate health, these particular amino acids should be consumed 60+ minutes before other amino acids (or protein-containing foods) are consumed.