Forum

supplementing P90X program

supplementing P90X program

Postby suki123 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:00 pm

I'm on day 26 (of 90) of the P90x program and would be interested in suggestions of which compex or globus programs to use to specifically improve my ability to do pull ups and help augment the P90 x program. (I am a 52 year old female and overhead and underhand pull ups have always been a weakness). Thanks!
suki123

Re: supplementing P90X program

Postby casey-becker » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:25 am

Hi suki123,

My initial thoughts on program(s) that come to mind would be the resistance program starting on level 1 and working your way up through the levels as progress/comfort allows. Since your back is a weakness for you, you may even want to get into the strength programs, beginning with the lower levels. The idea with a tool like the Compex is to augment your conventional training by "mirroring" the type of work your doing conventionally with a similar type of program on the Compex unit.

With this full body, intense, circuit style of training, I cannot stress the importance of the Active Recovery program enough. If time is a factor, I would definitely try to make sure you are running this program after your training sessions if nothing else. The expedited recovery will help to increase the strength gains you will begin to see.

Here are some links where you can get some pad placement guides for your back:
http://www.hammernutrition.com/download ... ements.pdf and http://www.hammernutrition.com/download ... ements.pdf

I hope I have helped you with your question. Let me know if there is anything else and keep us informed on your progress!

Happy training!

Casey

P.S. In the future, please supply your name for a response. Thanks!
casey-becker

Postby rfrye » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:33 am

Suki,
I'm just another athlete, not a coach, so take what I say with a double grain of salt.

I would trust that the P90x program is going to provide the best training that you can receive during the 90 days. Adding to it might bring the risk of injury or failing to be able to do your best on each day. So I would only use the Active Recovery program. I would use it on the biceps and lats and anywhere else I felt sore.

It has taken me quite a while to realize how important the Active Recovery program is. I love the jacked-up feeling of having tight muscles after a workout, but over time, I have learned that I get more benefit from flushing the toxins and being ready for the next workout.

-Roger Frye
rfrye

Postby casey-becker » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:45 pm

Hi Roger,

Thank you for your thoughts. I must say that I generally agree. I don't, however, think that adding Compex use would necessarily increase risk of injury in use of its self. Perhaps you are suggesting that fatigue may become an issue as a result of over-training, due to the nature of the P90X program and that risk of injury could become more apparent due to poor form during the conventional training for these reasons. I can definitely see and understand that logic.
IMHO, I think that the added use of the resistance program and maybe even the strength program could help in those trouble area's, particularly on the days when that muscle is trained conventionally with at least 48 hours of rest before using Compex on that muscle again (with exception to the Active Recovery program.)
Bottom line, I do believe that the Active Recovery program would be the most important program to integrate into a training schedule like this. Personally, I primarily strength train and have just recently started a routine that is similar to the P90X regimen. The Active Recovery program is the only program that I am using while I complete this venture. (Other than the massage program as well, if I'm particularly sore/tight in a specific area.)

Thanks for the input/discussion! Keep it coming all!

Casey
casey-becker

Postby suki123 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:12 am

Thanks very much for the good info! Caitilin
suki123

Return to Electrical Muscle Stimulation