Forum

Patellar Tendinitis...

Patellar Tendinitis...

Postby NicM » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:53 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might use my E-Stim unit to correct chronic petellar tendinitis? I have had this problem flair up off and on over the last few years, primarily during periods of hill training. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!
NicM

Re: Patellar Tendinitis...

Postby jason-keister » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi Nic,

Sorry to hear of your injury. Depending upon what is causing the issue, there are a couple of things you can do. In either case though, some professional help to determine the cause of the issue would be helpful. More than likely tightness in the IT band is causing tracking issues. You can target the IT band with your NMES device to relieve tension and hopefully prevent the IT band from pulling anything out of alignment. For pad placements please see here:

http://www.hammernutrition.com/download ... ements.pdf

If you find that the issue is due to a muscular imbalance, you can effectively and safely use NMES to correct this issue over time. In fact, you can do so much more efficiently with NMES than you can with traditional exercises due to the ability to isolate the problem muscle group.

As always, we can't provide medical advice, nor are we qualified to, but the above suggestions would be my initial thoughts on this.

If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Jason
jason-keister

Postby jason-keister » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:29 pm

Hi Nic,

My apologies, I should have mentioned that the program to target the IT band with to relieve tension would be the Active Recovery program. For building strength and correcting muscular imbalance you would want to use the Resistance or Strength programs.

Regards,

Jason
jason-keister

Postby NicM » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:53 pm

Thanks, Jason. I will give it a shot.
NicM

Postby jason-keister » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:45 pm

Hi Nic,

Keep us all posted on the results, we'd love to hear how it works for you!

Regards,

Jason
jason-keister

Postby NicM » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:59 pm

Here is an update on my tendinitis issue. First, everyone should know that I cut my weight training down to twice a week and cut my cardio down to once a week. (This is an off season for me) The reduction in activity has helped, a little.

Thinking that the tendinitis was most likely coming from an imbalance/flexibility issue in my quads, I started using the active recovery and stretch relax settings on my Globus unit on my quads every night before bed. The pain reduction from this protocol was minimal. So, with nothing to loose, I started placing the pads directly on the patellar tendon. I have been doing this for about a week and it I have experienced a pain reduction of about 80%. This is huge for me as this issue has been plaguing me for about 2 years. I am using the tibial pad placements as recommended by Compex, not Globus, and using the active recovery program. Let me warn anyone thinking of trying this; it hurts...like "breathe through the pain" hurt. But, I think it is helping me finally tackle the issue.

I will keep everyone posted as I progress.
NicM

Postby jason-keister » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the update! Great to hear you're getting some relief, keep us posted!

Jason
jason-keister

Return to Electrical Muscle Stimulation