Forum

Recommended Intensity for Active Recovery

Recommended Intensity for Active Recovery

Postby USCW » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:06 pm

From what I understand, when using the Strength and Endurance programs on the Compex, the higher the level of toleration, the better. But when it comes to the Active Recovery, would the same concept apply? Or is a more moderate setting recommended?

Thank you
USCW

Re: Recommended Intensity for Active Recovery

Postby jason-keister » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:54 am

Hello USCW,

If you could post your name in your reply in the future it would be most appreciated. The same concept you apply to strength programs would definitely not apply to Active Recovery. At a certain point of intensity you are actually going to inhibit the recovery process rather than aid it. If you have an older Compex or any model of Globus, I recommend running AR in the range of 40-50 mA. If you have one of the new Compex units, you can run AR up to 100. What is important is that you reach this intensity as soon as possible when you start the program. This ensures you get the proper "flushing" effect and that metabolic wastes and lactic acid are sufficiently removed. If this is not done, the program will not be as effective as it could be.

It may take some time to condition the muscle to reaching the optimal intensity as soon as possible, so if you're unable to do this, run AR until you can reach the optimal levels, then start the program over and increase intensity to the correct level immediately. Over time you'll be able to condition the muscles and they will become accustomed to ramping the intensity up immediately.

Hope this is helpful, let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Jason
jason-keister

Postby USCW » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks Jason -

It's the new Compex Perfomance model, so I'll follow your advice on staying at 100 (had been running it a bit higher) for the AR program and just take it as high as I can without irritation on the Endurance/Strength programs.

Appreciate it,

Brad Cooper
USCW

Postby NicM » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:17 am

Jason,

I have been running my Globus at the recommended levels for the AR setting (50MA) and have been getting good results. What are the recommended levels for the massage setting? I tried to use the same settings for massage as I use for AR but I just get a constant stimulation of the muscle group which, is good for a lasting burn, but that is not really the point of the massage setting is it? I am currently running the massage setting at about half the MA I run in AR.

Nic
NicM

Return to Electrical Muscle Stimulation