Forum

Achilles Pain and Pad Placement

Achilles Pain and Pad Placement

Postby Great Greyhounds » Mon May 03, 2010 10:40 am

All,

Ran a 1/2 Marathon yesterday, and after finishing and walking back to the car, my old friend the heel pain returned.

Th pain is across the back of the heel, where the Achilles attaches, and curves around the inside of the heel and underneath to where the Fascia attaches. Debilitating to the point of almost not being able to walk.

Got in the car, and placed a 50x90 pad below the belly of the Calf, and another across the Achilles, about 2 inches from the bottom of the heel.A second set was placed just back from the ball of the foot, and the second pad over the heel.

Active Recovery Mode, 20ma, and the relief was almost immediate!

I realize there isn't much muscle in the heel and bottom of the foot, so what is really brought the pain relief? More blood to the area?
Darrell 'The Diesel' Lenkner
in West Chester, Oh...
http://www.lenkner.net
Great Greyhounds

Re: Achilles Pain and Pad Placement

Postby Great Greyhounds » Fri May 07, 2010 2:14 pm

Thanks for the info. Whatever happened, I've used the same pad placement twice immediately after runs, and it has reduced the heel pain to almost nothing.

Something else to add to my repertoire of Globus uses!
in West Chester, Oh...
Great Greyhounds

Postby jason-keister » Mon May 10, 2010 4:56 pm

Hi Darrell,

You bring up a great point, which is that the E-stim machines can be used for a variety of uses, including light rehab. One of our co-workers here at Hammer suffered a severe ankle sprain not too long ago. I had him place a pad on either side of the swelling, so one just above the ankle on the side of the leg, and the other just below the ankle on the side of the foot. He ran light (20mA) Active Recovery sessions twice a day, and the swelling and range of motion returned in just a couple days. Withing 4 days after the sprain he was walking normally. Don't be afraid to try some light AR in similar situations, you might be pleasantly surprised with the results!

Regards,

Jason
jason-keister

Postby ketty111 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:17 am

The Achilles tendons are the tendons at the back of the ankle, connecting the calf muscle to the heel. If you have pain in these tendons, it usually indicates a problem in pedaling technique. Achilles tendon problems often result from "ankling" during the pedal stroke. This is occasionally related to having the saddle set too high, forcing the cyclist to point the toes excessively to reach the bottom of the pedal swing.

It can also be caused by having your cleats set too far forward, or otherwise pedaling with the toes. The farther forward the contact between the foot and the pedal, the greater the stress on the Achilles tendons.

There is a widespread belief that you should pedal with the ball of the foot centered over the pedal shaft. I believe this is not necessarily desirable, though it dates back to the high-wheeler era.

Back in the high-wheeler era (1870s through early '90s) long legged riders had an advantage, because they could straddle a larger diameter wheel, effectively giving them a higher "gear." By pedaling on the balls of their feet, they could get a bit more leg extension, permitting a given rider to straddle a larger, faster machine. The development of the safety bicycle rendered this concern obsolete, but the habit (and advice) persisted.

The other reason for pedaling on the ball of the feet is if you are riding in soft-soled shoes, the ball of the foot is better able to bear weight than the arch is. However, with rigid-soled shoes this is a non-issue. For short distance, low intensity riding even with soft-soled shoes this is not generally a problem in practice.
ketty111

Postby Great Greyhounds » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:46 am

All,

I've decided to post images of the pad placement for the Achilles and Foot pain.

Please be aware, that these pad placements worked for me, your mileage may vary. I've only used Active Recovery with this pad placement, start low and increase the current as needed.

http://www.lenkner.net/Images/Achilles_pad.jpg
http://www.lenkner.net/Images/Foot_pad.jpg

Moderators, If you wish to add these files to the library, feel free...
in West Chester, Oh...
Great Greyhounds

Postby Keith » Sun May 01, 2011 6:15 pm

Jason et al,
I am starting to experience a touch of tightness in the arch area of my feet (plantar fascitis??) and am curious when I see the picture (foot pad jpeg) in the previous post . Could I place one large pad directly across the arch of each foot and use AR (only using two cables)? Thoughts?

Thanks,
Keith
Keith

Postby jason-keister » Mon May 02, 2011 10:12 am

Hi Keith,

You'll need to place another pad somewhere in order to create a circuit, but you can certainly get creative with your pad placement and place a pad on the ball of your foot and another on the heel to create a circuit that would target the arch. Keep us posted on the results!

Regards,

Jason
jason-keister

Return to Electrical Muscle Stimulation