Forum

Cramping can´t stop

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Cramping can´t stop

Postby emilioochoa » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:12 pm

I´m a 39 old guy with MTB for last 18 months at least 5 times a week. I loved MTB since I discovered !

I´ve been competing and after 2 hours racing start to have that horrible cramps around legs.

Weight 181 Lbs, Height 6 ft, Body fat 19% and high sweating at 111°F

I´ve been reading cramping articles this site but I´d like to have a professional recommendation to hammer products help me to avoid cramping. Actually have Endurolytes (caplets) and Perpetuem fuel but I don´t know how to combine the products in a 3 hours race (cross country type).

Thanks in advance.
emilioochoa

Re: Cramping can´t stop

Postby steve-born » Mon May 03, 2010 5:53 pm

Hello Emilio -

I would suggest that you take 4-6 Endurolytes capsules anywhere from 20-30 minutes prior to your workout... think of this as a "pre-emptive strike" type of dose, getting those minerals in your body prior to when you need them. Use the smaller amount of cool-to-slightly-warm days and use the higher amount during warm-to-hot days.

Other tips:

1) Every 30 minutes during the ride take another 3 Endurolytes.

2) Don't over-consume fluids. There are many theories as to what causes cramping, but in my experience, one of the primary ones is over-consumption of fluids. This causes sodium and other electrolytes to become excessively diluted in the blood, with the by-product being cramping. So keep your fluid intake between 20-25 ounces an hour. On cooler days you may need only 16-18 ounces and on hotter days you may need a couple ounces more (perhaps up to 28 ounces/hour). But when you start going over that amount consistency you're flirting with hyponatremia, and the least of your worries when that happens is cramping.

3) Here are our recommendations for Perpetuem:

Suggested Doses by Body Weight*

* 0 - 120 lbs (approx 54.5 kg) - up to 3/4 scoop/hr. This provides approximately 101 calories.
* 120-155 lbs (approx 54.5-70 kg) - 1 scoop/hr. This provides 135 calories.
* 155-190 lbs (approx 70-86 kg) - 1.25 to 1.5 scoops/hr. This provides approx 169 to 202.5 calories.
* 190+ lbs (86+ kg) - up to 2 scoops/hr. This provides 270 calories.

Special Note on Perpetuem: Due to this being a high concentration calorie source (via its complex carbohydrate, soy protein, and healthy fat components), we have noted that many athletes do well with a substantially lower calorie intake when using Perpetuem as their primary-to-sole fuel. Therefore, with this particular fuel we highly recommend starting with the lowest amount suggested-perhaps even a bit lower-and work your way up to a higher amount, if a higher amount has proved to be necessary via testing in training.

4) Although there are some electrolytic minerals in Perpetuem, I personally would not count them towards fulfilling your electrolyte requirements. Some people have found that they can decrease their intake of Endurolytes by 1 capsule per hour; however, I have not found that to be the case for me... to me, Perpetuem is my calories source and Endurolytes fulfills my electrolytic mineral needs. So think of Perpetuem solely as a calorie source (even though it has some electrolytes in it) and use Endurolytes to take care of your electrolyte requirements.

5) I would start by making a 4.5 - 5 scoop bottle of Perpetuem to cover you for three hours. This will yield 607.5 to 675 calories, which provides you with 202.5 - 225 an hour. That should be plenty sufficient for you, though if you feel you need a few more calories, carry a pouch or two of Hammer Gel (just in case). This 3-hour bottle of Perpetuem should really be thought of as a "calories only" bottle. The reason is the even though it contains some fluid, over the course of 3 hours it's fairly insignificant.

So with your 3- hour bottle of Perpetuem you've got your calories covered, with Endurolytes you've got your electrolytic mineral needs covered, and with plain water from another source (more water bottles, Camelback, etc) you will be able to take care of your fluid requirements. By taking care of these three entities of fueling - calories, fluids, and electrolytes - from sources independent of each other, you have much more flexibility in terms of how many calories you're consuming, how many ounces of fluids you're drinking, and how much electrolyte support you're receiving.

Yes, it would be nice to have a "all in one, one size fits all" drink mix but that simply would not work for everyone. It's much more feasible to get your calories, fluids, and electrolytes coming in from sources that are independent of each other because in doing so you're able to meet your specific and potentially ever-changing needs much more precisely.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby DougStrong » Tue May 04, 2010 3:09 pm

Thanks for the info above.

Background - I am 6'3" and about 200lbs. I sweat heavily, so much infact people do no :lol: t like to ride behind me because they get sprayed. :-)

Situation - I had a similar type problem with a twist last Sunday. I was doing a century ride in hot (92) and humid conditions. I did the RDB load and used Enduralytes (4-6 hourly) and AFC (1 hourly) during the ride. My drink of choice was 2-21oz water bottle of Heed between each rest stop.

My Issue - at about the 50 mile mark I started to cramp really bad in fact 2-days later my legs are still sore. Additionally, it appeared that my stomach was bloated/sticking out as I drank more Heed. It appears to me that my body was not/stopped absorbing any liquids and was just sitting in my stomach. At mile 62 I had to drop out and sag back.

Questions: Have you eve heard of someone's stomach bloating and not processing liquids? Do you have any advise for heavy sweaters. Could I have taken to much sodium between Enduralytes and RDB and AFC. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks and Go Hammer
DougStrong

Postby mangumc » Tue May 04, 2010 6:17 pm

Hi, Doug. Sorry to hear about your cramping problem. Been there and it's no fun.

You say you were drinking 2-21 ounce containers of Heed between rest stops. How far apart were the rest stops? Or asked another way, how many ounces of fluids were you consuming each hour? What did you eat and/or drink at the rest stops?
Chris Mangum
Raleigh, NC
mangumc

Postby Brian Quarton » Mon May 10, 2010 10:13 am

This study Reflex Inhibition of Electrically Induced Muscle Cramps in Hypohydrated Humans

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Abstract/2010/05000/Reflex_Inhibition_of_Electrically_Induced_Muscle.15.aspx

Found 2.5 ounces of dill pickle juice resolved cramping in less than 2 minutes. So try all the above and consider Vlasic pickle juice as it was the one used. Crazy.
Brian Quarton

Postby nesdog » Mon May 10, 2010 2:52 pm

A very timely and interesting post for me as I was about to open a similiar thread. Mine was a 68 mile road charity ride....I never cramp on the bike....ever! but on this one, had a number of them. And I know that my hydration was managed poorly this time. Had plenty of HEED and gels but clearly didn't drink enough as I was not.....uh.....making a reasonable deposit in the porta potty at the end.

Now... I thought the problem was too little water. Then above I read it's too much... and I also found the article linked above.

So with another metric coming up, how best to figure this out?

BTW: Huckleberry gel rocks...love it.
nesdog

Return to Endurance Forum