Forum

What is the difference between Perpetuem and Sustained Energ

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

What is the difference between Perpetuem and Sustained Energ

Postby brownwrap » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:48 pm

I just asked this question and was told the answer, but didn't make a note of it. I was told one had electrolites, but in looking at the ingrediants, its not clear to me which one.
brownwrap

Re: What is the difference between Perpetuem and Sustained E

Postby steve-born » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:54 pm

Hello brownwrap (please list your first name in future posts) -

In the article "The Hammer Nutrition Fuels - What they are and how to use them" (http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... .1252.html) we write the following:

Comparing Sustained Energy and Perpetuem

*** Sustained Energy is neutrally (a.k.a. “plain”) flavored. Perpetuem is available in three options: an orange–vanilla "Dreamsicle" flavor, a caffeinated caffe latte flavor (12.5 mg of caffeine per scoop), and in an unflavored/plain version.

*** Perpetuem contains lyso–lecithin fat, whereas Sustained Energy does not.

*** Perpetuem contains tribasic sodium phosphate, which is a tremendous lactic acid buffer. Sustained Energy does not contain this nutrient.

*** Both fuels contain l–carnosine (an antioxidant that also buffers lactic acid), l–carnitine (to promote fatty acid utilization), and chromium polynicotinate (to stabilize blood sugar levels).

Bottom line: With Sustained Energy and Perpetuem, you have two great long distance fuel choices. When exercise goes beyond about two hours, you can use either product as your primary or sole fuel, in any combination with each other or any other Hammer Nutrition fuel.

That said, we have noted that Sustained Energy may be the ideal fuel choice when endurance exercise intensity is at a higher level (approximately 70–85% MHR), whereas Perpetuem may be a more attractive choice the longer the longer the athlete goes and when exercise intensity is at a more aerobic pace (under 70% MHR). Additionally, over the years we have noted that Sustained Energy may be the ideal choice for very lean athletes (the “high metabolizer/hyper–metabolic” types), while Perpetuem—with its added healthy fat component—may be the ideal choice for athletes with a naturally higher body fat percentage. The rationale for this suggestion is that athletes with a higher body fat percentage have a greater volume of calories available from body fat stores, which the lyso–lecithin component of Perpetuem may effectively assist in accessing for use as energy.

Again though, because the applications for Sustained Energy and Perpetuem are identical, either fuel can be used as the primary–to–sole fuel during prolonged bouts of exercise. Test each product in your long–duration workouts, under a variety of conditions, to find which product works best for you!

---- END ----

As far as the electrolyte content is concerned, Perpetuem does contain a bit more electrolytes than Sustained Energy. Keep in mind, though, that this is what occurs naturally from the ingredients in the product. In other words, whatever electrolytes occur in the product were not included or added by design or intention; it's simply what occurs naturally from the components of the product (mainly the soy protein and sodium phosphate).

Dr. Bill Misner states: "A modest electrolyte profile is also included in Perpetuem as is necessary to optimize the digestibility of the product. However, this must be described with reservations as a 'Self-Contained Electrolyte Profile.' This merits a precautionary statement suggesting that an athlete may not need to consume as much Endurolytes or Endurolytes Powder with Perpetuem. Some athletes who using Perpetuem, but not all, who normally use only 1-2 Endurolytes per hour may be able to go without Endurolyte supplementation. The self-contained electrolytes profile in Perpetuem is therefore equivalent to 1-2 Endurolytes per hour dose, depending on the individual athlete. All athletes using Perpetuem should trial this suggestion first in training by reducing a former Endurolytes dose 1-2 capsules per hour."

In my experiences, both in my training/racing and that of other athletes, I have noted the most of the time the dose of Endurolytes remains the same when using Perpetuem. In other other words, I normally take 3 Endurolytes per hour (more if it's hotter outside) and I haven't altered that dose when using Perpetuem.

On the other hand, some athletes have found that when using Perpetuem they can decrease their hourly dose of Endurolytes by 1 capsule (I've not heard of anyone decreasing their intake by 2 capsules an hour).

The bottom line to all of this is that thorough testing of the products in training will be the best way for you to determine which one is ideal for you.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum