Forum

Cramping, should I fuel during warmup?

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Cramping, should I fuel during warmup?

Postby Bandman » Mon May 31, 2010 10:52 am

Did a mountain bike race in WI yesterday (Big Ring Classic, Comp division, ~24mi) in temps of 90+. Finished 2 of the 3 laps before cramping up and dropping out. I would love some analysis of my fueling especially since I did not fuel during my warmup. Here's the scenario:

8:30 Breakfast of about 600 cal, pretty even mix of fat/carb/protein
10:30 On the road to the race, some black coffee and water for the drive
12:00 Warmup, 3 endurolytes and water
12:45 Stretching, water
1:15 One last test of the legs and then on to the start line, 3 more endurolytes
1:35 A serving and a half of Hammer Gel and some water
1:40 Race starts. Fuel during up to the point I dropped: 1 scoop of heed in 20oz water, 5 endurolytes, 6 oz plain water (about 1:30:00 total time)

I made it an hour before I started feeling that the cramping was not far off so I slowed my pace and was able to limp through the second lap without locking up. I took endurolytes during that time but they did not seem to help.

As I stated, it was hot. I was going hard but no harder than in previous races. Other than the cramping, I felt good. Had energy, aerobically capable of going hard, no sense of bonking, hydration seemed normal.

Thoughts?

Scott
Scott Plank
Father, Husband, Teacher, Musician,
and aspiring Endurance Mountain Biker
Bandman

Re: Cramping, should I fuel during warmup?

Postby steve-born » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:23 am

Hello Scott -

Everyone is different in how they approach their warm up, so my personal thoughts on this may not jive with what others may do or suggest. That said, I think that finishing a warm up (which sounds like it was about 45 minutes in duration?) an hour prior to a race is too long of a time gap.

I personally would prefer to do a shorter warm up closer to the race start, primarily because I wouldn't have so much "down time" between the completion of the warm up and the start of the race, and also because I wouldn't be using up a portion of my glycogen stores during my warm up (I'd rather keep as much as them available for use during the race).

Two other things caught my attention:

1) You may want to increase your pre-race dose of Endurolytes, especially if the weather is going to be that hot, and for sure if you're not acclimated to those hot-weather conditions. In those kind of conditions it wouldn't have been out of the question to take up to 6 Endurolytes in the 15-30 minute time frame prior to the race.

2) Seeing as this was a 1.5-hour race, I think that your Endurolytes intake (including the amount you received in HEED) could have been higher. In that 1.5-hour time frame you took in 5 Endurolytes and received another 3/4's worth of a capsule from your 1 scoop of HEED. Basically you were averaging a little under 4 capsules/hour during the 1.5 hours you were on the bike... I think you can increase that.

3) I think you may have been a bit dehydrated as well. You consumed a total of 26 ounces of fluid (via HEED and water) over the course of 1.5 hours. In weather conditions I believe that more fluid intake would have been merited. In my opinion, 26 ounces, which is the amount you consumed, would have been sufficient for an hour (and perhaps even a couple more ounces per hour would have been acceptable).

Other than that I think everything looks pretty spot on.

I hope you will find these suggestions helpful, Scott.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re: Cramping, should I fuel during warmup?

Postby Bandman » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:24 pm

Steve,

Thanks for your analysis. I will definitely experiment with your suggestions. I think that this race posed some unique challenges for me as I am generally training for 6hr races and this would have been a 2hr race, had I finished.

The only area I feel I could use more clarification on is fueling during the warm up. I definitely need to move the warm up closer to the start and do less, especially if it is hot. Should I start my fueling (other than the endurolytes) when I start the warm up or start when I start the race?

Scott
Scott Plank
Father, Husband, Teacher, Musician,
and aspiring Endurance Mountain Biker
Bandman

Return to Endurance Forum