Forum

Recovery on multi-day rides

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Recovery on multi-day rides

Postby MegC » Thu May 27, 2010 4:23 pm

Shooting this in here even though I'm not a racer, 'cuz I figured y'all are smart with this sort of thing...

By some miracle I've managed to leverage my training up in both intensity and volume, and the 'long rides' are getting longer, faster, more fun, less painful. For the FIRST day. I'm using hammer gel and/or perpetuem + endurolytes through fairly stiff 2-3 hour rides (here's hoping logistics allow for some 4+ hour stints soon), afterward I drop some more quality fuel in the tank right away, and I try to get a good night's sleep.

But good grief, the next day I'm tired. It seems like all I can do is sleep. Which is fine for a single day's worth of riding, BUT... I've got a multi day festival coming up this summer and I'm a little concerned about keeping some in the can for the whole thing.

All suggestions welcome- TIA.
~Meg is slow, but always gets there....
MegC

Re: Recovery on multi-day rides

Postby mangumc » Fri May 28, 2010 6:13 pm

Hi MegC. Glad to hear you are advancing with your cycling. Keep up the hard work.

Recovery for me following a demanding ride includes the use of Recoverite (2-3 scoops plus a scoop of whey on longer rides) plus Endurance Amino caps within the first hour of the end of the ride. Within the next hour, I eat a high quality, protein-rich snack/small meal. I usually have a piece of fruit (an orange) after another hour and then a meal with quality protein after another hour or so. The more protein I consume, the less likely I am to get sleepy. If necessary, I will also be intentionally careful to re-hydrate if the ride was in hot/humid conditions.

When I follow this regimine, the day after the ride is usually more of muscle recovery rather than tiredness and sleepiness. In my opinion and experience, if during the day following a demanding ride you find yourself having to take a nap due to extreme sleepiness, you have not properly re-fueled your body, especially with regards to protein.
Chris Mangum
Raleigh, NC
mangumc

Postby steve-born » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:34 am

Hello MegC -

The info that Chris has provided is pretty spot on. For even more information and tips on maximizing your recovery between workouts, please read the article Recovery - A Crucial Component for Athletic Success at http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... ge-section

If you have any questions after reviewing that information please let me know... I'll be happy to help.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby MegC » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:40 pm

Thanks a lot. I ended up doing a pretty stiff 3:45 ride on Sunday and came out really good on the other side. Changes:
- Ate & drank a little more on the bike, especially towards the end (still under 200 cals an hour- I don't really need too much especially w/ Perp).
- Spun the last half hour easy instead of burning it to the barn like I usually do.
- Shoved down another 200 cals + water immediately off the bike (steamed rice/egg/smoked salmon roll... mmmm....).
- Got a chance to stretch pretty well before and after hitting the shower.
- Inserted even more calories + water through dinner and after. It seemed like a stupid amount of food compared to how I normally eat, but even then I estimated that I was at a slight calorie deficit.

Slept like the dead, then woke up to 3+ hours of finishing The Planting Of The Garden, family time, and an hour on rollers at night. Felt great. :mrgreen:

FWIW I use hammer gel, perp, and endurolytes already and they work awesome, but unfortunately I can't do Recoverite since it has xylitol (my brain is fine with it- body not so much). Shouldn't be difficult to find something else that works though. I suspect even reserving some perp for the last 30 minutes helped quite a lot.
~Meg is slow, but always gets there....
MegC

Return to Endurance Forum