Forum

high blood pressure meds

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

high blood pressure meds

Postby noemarmolejo » Tue May 25, 2010 7:53 pm

I have been taking 25mg tablet (daily) of metoprolol for high blood pressure for a few years now. I have started realizing that if I take it before my rides that it's impossible to get a high enough heart rate to burn enough calories, etc. Is anyone taking high blood pressure meds and, if so, what are they and how do they affect your heart rate numbers.
noemarmolejo

Re: high blood pressure meds

Postby steve-born » Thu May 27, 2010 8:15 pm

Noe -

As you probably already know, Metoprolol is in a group of drugs called beta-blockers. Beta-blockers affect the heart and circulation (blood flow through arteries and veins) and yes, they can affect your heart rate during exercise. I found a fairly good answer to your question on the Mayo Clinic website at http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/beta-blockers/an01224

To my understanding, 25 mg is a fairly low dose of this particular drug (it is available in dosages up to 200 mg). I can't and won't alter the recommendations of your physician, especially in regards to when you take this medication, but if you were able to take it (upon your physician's approval) at some point long before your workouts or, perhaps even better, at a time after your workouts, you might not see such a noticeable difference in your heart rate.

If you're taking the extended release form of this medication (Metoprolol Succinate ER) it will stay in the body for a longer period of time. As such, it may be worthwhile to talk with your doctor about taking this particular form of this medication at a specific time (perhaps after your workouts?), so as to not interfere so much with your workouts.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re: high blood pressure meds

Postby rkling » Fri May 28, 2010 11:50 am

Noe:

As Steve mentioned, there may be a very particular reason that your physician is using metoprolol for treating you. The beta-blockers have other properties, in addition to lowering your blood pressure, that may be uniquely beneficial for your particular condition. One of their properties, is that they work as negative chronotropes (slow the heart down).

With that being said, there are other blood pressure meds (anti-hypertensives) that may not affect your physical performance and HR in the way that beta-blockers do. It may be worth discussing these alternatives with your physician.

Although I do not take anti-hypertensives, I am a practicing internal medicine physician, and have managed many people with the same concerns as yours in the past. Hope that helps.

Richard Ling
rkling

Return to Endurance Forum