Forum

Compex and normal training

Compex and normal training

Postby ibike365 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:38 pm

How does one integrate an EMS program with their normal training program?

For example, if I'm training and/or racing 5 days a week (I'm a cyclist) how do I best work the Compex into my program?

Thanks,
Charles
ibike365

Re: Compex and normal training

Postby levi-hoch » Wed May 15, 2013 2:30 pm

The concept of "stacking" EMS training on top of conventional training is a popular method for incorporating these muscle development programs into your existing training schedule.

Endurance can be "stacked" on top of conventional endurance type workout to extend total workout duration/workload. If your workout consists of exercise at threshold level (not anaerobic) you could run the Resistance program afterward. If you're doing an interval day with high intensity efforts, you could follow your conventional interval workout with Compex Strength to add a little more to your workout. If you do a conventional workout and a Compex training program on the same day you should do your conventional workout first and follow it with the Compex training so your muscles aren't already fatigued going into the conventional workout. After every one of the Compex training programs we highly recommend running Active Recovery which will help reduce soreness and help you get the most benefit from the workout.

To see the best results from the Compex fitness development programs you should use them 2-3 times per week and be consistent with 2-3 weeks before changing it up. Each fitness program will have 5 levels and we recommend spending 2-3 weeks at each level before progressing to the next level. That said, you need to allow 48 hours of recovery time between sessions on the same muscle group so if you run a strength program on your quads on Monday morning you shouldn't run another strength program on your quads until Wednesday morning for example. The recovery programs can and should be used as often as possible however; if you're able to run them daily that is ideal.

If you are limited on time, I recommend focusing on your weaknesses when trying to determine which Compex programs to run and on which muscles. If you feel that your quads are naturally strong but your hamstrings are weaker, you might want to focus on those for a while to get your hamstrings up to speed. If you notice a muscle imbalance where one leg is noticeably stronger and moves a lot more during a strength program than the other, you should focus on bringing the weaker side up to speed by running a slightly higher intensity on the weaker side. I think cyclists tend to focus on their quads but don't underestimate the work that your hamstrings and glutes do while cycling and don't neglect to give them the Active Recovery treatment as that will help keep everything loose and prevent injury if you make sure that you at least run Active Recovery on your hamstrings and glutes. When running Active Recovery after a ride or Compex strength training session an efficient way to recover all the muscles in your legs is to do your quads and calves simultaneously and then your hamstrings and glutes. The Active Recovery procedure on your legs should take less than an hour.

For more helpful training tips on incorporating Compex training into your existing training program, the Endurance News magazines from the past two years have all had really great Compex features. We also offer Advanced Consultations to help get you comfortable with this as well.

I hope that was helpful, please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Postby ibike365 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:18 am

Each fitness program will have 5 levels and we recommend spending 2-3 weeks at each level before progressing to the next level

Levi,

Thank you for the reply. When you say that each program has 5 levels, where do I choose this? I know that I can adjust the intensity of the stimulation for each pad, but I didn't see anywhere to set a program level. Where is this done?

Thanks,
Charles
ibike365

Postby levi-hoch » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:42 am

Hello Charles,

I do apologize for the late reply, it's been very busy at Hammer HQ lately and I haven't been on the forum much.

The program level determines the intensity of the contractions and can be selected in the same screen where you select the appropriate body part from the rotating character. When you first open a training program it will let you select the body part you want to stimulate using the blue channel. The yellow channel lets you turn the warm up on or off and the green channel lets you walk the little character up the stair steps which are the different program levels. Once you've made all the appropriate selections you can start the program with the red channel.

The intensity of the contractions are determined by the program and program level you select. Strength level 1 is at 75Hz, level 2 is 83Hz, level 3 is 90Hz, level 4 is 96Hz, and level 5 100Hz. The adjustments you make during the program to increase the level of pain and muscle movement are measured in Energy Levels (a smaller increment version of Milliamps) ranging from 1 - 999 and simply reaches more muscle fiber every time you turn it up.

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Return to Electrical Muscle Stimulation