Forum

Using a Strength Program

Using a Strength Program

Postby dulles29 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:53 pm

Hi

If resistence is used one day, can the Endurance program be used the next day? Or should there be a rest day between sessions? Can resistence and endurance be done in the same session? Which order is best if this is acceptable.

Steve
dulles29

Re: Using a Strength Program

Postby levi-hoch » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:04 am

Dear Steve,

It's important to allow 48 hours between strength enhancing programs (i.e. Resistance & Endurance) on the same muscle group so that muscle can thoroughly recover. Running an EMS strength enhancing program will break down muscle tissue just like a conventional exercise if not even more thoroughly as you will be reaching more muscle fibers than you would be able to contract voluntarily and you want to make sure that you allow sufficient time to recover so you can get the most out of your training and EMS usage. That said, you can and should use one of the recovery programs on that same muscle group in the interim and as often as you are able as it will help maintain muscle memory that you trained using the strength programs but without fatiguing the muscle further and promoting circulation for faster healing. Remember that the recovery process is every bit as important as the actual training its self as it's during this time that the muscles rebuild stronger for next time. This *recovery article* has more information on how to get the most out of your training. Also, I encourage you to read the article *Sleep Builds Strong Muscle Mass* that reminds us of how important it is to insure we get adequate sleep to allow for thorough recovery between training sessions.

EMS expert Jim Bruskewitz recently wrote me with his wisdom on "stacking" back to back EMS strength training programs on the same muscle group and this is what he told me:

Running two programs in a row is likely more than one can absorb, but it may be something that one could build up to . We do get better at recovering with training. The Strength and Explosive Strength train the same muscle fiber type, but they do stress two different energy delivery systems. For this reason it would be easier to absorb these two workouts back to back or at least within the same 48 hour time frame.

Regarding doing back to back strength workouts with say Strength and [Resistance] on the same muscle group, this can be done. Two different muscle fiber types are being trained here, FT(fast twitch)x and FTa respectively. The % of the entire muscle that is being trained is greater than if only one muscle fiber type were being trained. However, each muscle fiber type is receiving only one training bout. I and others I train have been following this protocol with success. It should also be noted that the training load delivered is a product of the length of the program and how high one turns up the intensity. If one really pushes their level of tolerance, the training load will be greater than if one stops with a moderately strong contraction when setting the intensity. The bigger the training load, the longer the recovery period needed before one can accept another reasonable training load.

So, although possible to run two different training programs back to back on the same muscle group, it will fatigue you much more than just doing one and will increase recovery time significantly. If you're using the programs properly, you should be pretty uncomfortable during the session running the intensity as high as you can tolerate and slightly above your comfort level. You will feel the burn if you're running it at a high intensity and you will be sore and fatigued the next day or two. You can train one muscle group one day and a different muscle group the next day though. If you train quads one day and calves the next for example, this might be a good strategy.

I'd also remind you that we do offer *consultations* with Jim Bruskewitz that would allow you to build a custom training program with him if you are interested.

I hope this was helpful to you, please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Postby cas1958 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:08 pm

Having only had the Elite unit for about 2 weeks now I'm still looking at ways to integrate it into my cycling training program. In reviewing the note that initiated this thread it was suggested that 48 hours pass between strength workouts. I like the idea of using the machine to build strength although I don't know that I'll ever completely abandon the gym. My cycling workout schedule is hectic with only Monday and Wednesday as designated "recovery days" where I could opt for an EMS power/strength workout. However, the other weekdays I'm either doing intervals, hill repeats some other form of power/strength work. Simply, I don't have time to wait 48 hours between an EMS session and an "on the bike" session. So I'm interested if perhaps I'm taking the advice presented too literally or if anyone out there has found an efficient way to integrate the unit when you're already training 12 to 14 hours a week without it?
cas1958

Postby levi-hoch » Thu May 16, 2013 1:45 pm

Hey cas1958,

Your question is very similar to a recent post which I answered yesterday:COMPEX AND NORMAL TRAINING Please check out this thread and see if it helps answer your questions. Additionally, I would like to point out that Compex muscle development programs are not intended to fully replace conventional training but are meant to be one of the best compliments to conventional training you could access. As you stated, you shouldn't necessarily give up your gym training and replace it with Compex training however, Compex Strength and Explosive Strength can replace your heaviest lifting which will help prevent stress and injury to your joints. Also, I would encourage you to try "stacking" Compex training onto your existing training by following your conventional workouts with an appropriate accompanying Compex program as opposed to running one of these programs (Endurance, Resistance, Strength, Explosive Strength) on your recovery days. Although Compex will provide an efficient workout for your muscles (even working them more thoroughly than a conventional workout is capable of doing), it does not develop your aerobic capacity or your cardiovascular system and the small stabilizing muscles that you use for coordination and balance are not all going to be worked with a Compex program so it's still important to train like you've been doing but Compex can help you train more muscle fibers in your major muscle groups to handle the work load increasing your muscle strength and efficiency. As explained in the thread I recommended, if your training involves intervals on the bike, a good application for Compex would be to follow that workout with a Resistance or Strength program and then finish it off with Active Recovery.

On your recovery days I would not recommend running the fitness programs but I highly recommend running the recovery programs on your recovery days and as often as you have time to do them. We do recommend allowing 48 hours between fitness programs on the same muscle group but the recovery programs can be used as often as you like and will help maintain muscle fitness you've developed using the fitness programs.

I hope this information on the information in the thread I recommended are helpful in answering your questions, please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Return to Electrical Muscle Stimulation