Forum

Blood sugar

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Blood sugar

Postby dulles29 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:42 am

Hi-Other than Chromeate, are there any other supps that hammer has in it's line to assist regulating blood sugar during the day? Or other products that might help?
My sugars have been trending towards the higher end of normal and I want to get on top of this asap.
Although my diet has not been terrible, it is clear I need to be more attentive to this. Diet is much better now but still want to assist my body naturally.

Thx
Steve
dulles29

Re: Blood sugar

Postby steve-born » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:08 pm

Hi Steve -

ChromeMate, the trademarked name for chromium polynicotinate (the most bioavailable form of this trace mineral), is definitely the first supplement that one would use to help maintain stable blood sugar levels.

Another product that I believe would be very helpful (for this and many, many other reasons) is Mito Caps, primarily the r-alpha lipoic acid component. According to one site I reviewed, this multi-beneficial nutrient "may be critical for not only maintaining optimal blood sugar levels by helping the body to use glucose, but also for supporting insulin sensitivity and key aspects of cardiovascular health, such as endothelial function."

Another site I reviewed (http://www.thefoodadvicecentre.co.uk/re ... r-balance/) had a lot of good information, including this statement: "To help ensure glucose is used effectively by the body and that cells can use glucose efficiently to provide energy, sufficient intake of B vitamins & magnesium is required." You'll find all of the B vitamins and magnesium in Premium Insurance Caps.

Remember, diet first and supplements second!

I hope this helps!

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby dulles29 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 pm

Thanks Steve

I started supplementing Magnesium a while back b/c I remember Dr Bill posting about OptiMag sometime ago.
Just recently, I started using a transdermal Mag spray, which in theory delivers much greater absorption due to bypassing the gastric system. Claims are for far superior results. I use at bedtime but guidelines say as long as topical stays on for at least 20 min., it can be rinsed off, if residue is unpleasant. It does not bother me.
I totally agree about diet first/supps next. I'm back on top of things and feeling so much better. Best ride today in a very long time.

Thanks for all your help over the years.
Steve Kaplan
dulles29

Postby steve-born » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:40 pm

Hey Steve -

You're very welcome for the information... glad it's helpful. I'm a BIG fan of magnesium supplementation, above and beyond what I get from my daily dose of Premium Insurance Caps and other Hammer supplements. My reason for being such an advocate of magnesium comes from the information in the article "Magnesium - The key to health and life" (http://www.vrp.com/minerals/magnesium-t ... h-and-life). This article, in my opinion, is THE definitive article about magnesium, how important it is, and why eating magnesium-rich foods (see http://www.hammernutrition.com/EN/EN60/ ... tml#eating for more info), and taking some additional magnesium, is worth consideration.

I still take the OptiMag product, though I'd be interested in knowing what product you're taking. To be honest with you, while a transdermal magnesium spray may allow greater absorption of this particular mineral, I'd like to see how much it costs and how much elemental magnesium is in a dose, comparing it to a high-quality magnesium supplement (such as OptiMag and a couple others).

When you buy a magnesium product, and I believe this to be true with all minerals, you want to look for how much actual (aka "elemental") magnesium that you're getting. As you probably know, most-to-all of the time this is easily figured out by understanding the labeling. For example, if a product states...

Magnesium Oxide - 500 mg

... that means that you're getting 500 mg of the magnesium oxide compound. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean you're getting 500 mg of actual (elemental) magnesium. Magnesium oxide is roughly 60% actual magnesium so when you take a 500 mg pill of magnesium you're only getting 300 mg of elemental magnesium (But wait! There's more! I'll discuss this in a second).

Now, if the label reads something like...

Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide) - 500 mg

... that means you're getting 500 mg of actual/elemental magnesium, which comes via a much greater amount, about 835 mg, of the magnesium oxide compound.

The second thing you need to do, and this is really important with magnesium (more so than any other mineral, in my opinion), is to find sources that have high absorption rates. For example, even though magnesium oxide has a high percentage of elemental magnesium in the compound, only about 4% of that, on average, is absorbed. So when you take a 500 mg tablet of magnesium oxide (the first example listed above), you're getting only 300 mg of actual (elemental) magnesium, with only 4% of that being absorbed... a paltry 12 mg.

In my opinion, the best sources of magnesium - especially in terms of absorption rates - are (in no particular order)...

1) Magnesium amino acid chelate - This means it's magnesium bonded (aka "chelated") to an amino acid, usually glycine. Another name for this, assuming it's chelated to glycine, is magnesium glycinate.

2) Magnesium orotate - This is magnesium chelated to orotic acid.

3) Magnesium taurinate - This is magnesium bonded to the amino acid taurine.

4) Magnesium aspartate - This is magnesium bonded to the amino acid aspartic acid (note: This is what we use in Anti-Fatigue Caps).

5) Magnesium succinate - This is magnesium chelated to succinic acid.

6) Magnesium malate - This is magnesium chelated to malic acid. Along with magnesium asparatate (found in Anti-Fatigue Caps), this form is oftentimes suggested as being very helpful for those with chronic fatigue syndrome.

Any of the above forms should be good choices; just make sure the label indicates that you're getting "X" amount of elemental magnesium (the second one listed above ---> Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide) - 500 mg), not "X" amount of the compound (the first one listed above ---> Magnesium Oxide - 500 mg). Ideally, the best thing to do is to get a product that contains a blend of at least a couple of high-absorbing magnesium sources, such as the OptiMag product.

The least desirable choices, in my opinion, are magnesium carbonate and magnesium oxide, due to their very poor absorption rates/bioavailability.

Hope that all this information is helpful and again, I'd be interested in knowing a bit more about the transdermal magnesium product you're taking.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby dulles29 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:34 pm

Steve, I didn;t post the product name so not to offend anyone. Happy to share supplier web site w/you.
They claim that applying directly to the skin, allows for the user to absorb more w/o gastric upset, which can be a factor, as you know. Furthermore they are claiming greater levels of finally absorbed Mag.
Lastly, I think they are stating that Mag Chloride is the best way to go. Cost certainly more than oral supps but you can check that out.
I'd be thrilled to get your feedback/expertise on all the above and can pass on company name/site offline or here.
Feel free to contact me for any reason.

Steve
dulles29

Postby dulles29 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:57 pm

Steve, in reviewing the marketing from the spray Mag product, it claims that 8 sprays across the body will deliver 100mg of Elemental mag. They suggest spraying 2-3 sprays into a cupped hand and then spreading over body avoiding face and sensitive areas. It has not irritated my skin when I apply at bedtime.

Let me know if I can help in any way.
Steve
dulles29

Postby steve-born » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:53 am

Hi Steve -

Here's my take:

1) Unless you buy a really lousy form of magnesium, you're going to get good absorption rates via oral dose of an encapsulated product.

2) I have not seen any evidence that transdermally applied magnesium is superior to orally dosed. Not saying that the possibility doesn't exist; I just haven't found any evidence that it works any better.

3) 8 sprays to get 100mg of elemental magnesium seems to be an awful lot for a relatively small amount of magnesium. 1 capsule of Opti-Mag provides 120mg of elemental magnesium from four excellent and highly bioavailable sources. A bottle of 120 capsules costs $14.95, which makes each capsule about 12.5 cents. Not a bad price for a really good magnesium supplement.

4) I don't know how much the product you're using costs but even if it's less, I personally would find it a hassle to have to go through the whole process of spraying, spreading the product on my skin, waiting for it to dry, then washing my hands. I know it's not a major time constraint but it is when compared to the time involved (not to mention the most likely lower cost) of popping a capsule.

All this said, if you feel that the product is doing you good then by all means take it. I'm just glad to see that you're taking some extra magnesium, which is a mineral that I tend to believe we all would benefit from taking a little extra of. HINT: Take it at night and it'll really help calm the nerves while also helping to alleviate "twitching legs" and Restless Leg Syndrome.

Lastly, I have no affiliation whatsoever with VRP, the company that makes Opti-Mag. I just happen to like this product a lot and, whenever someone asks me about supplement suggestions, this is my "go to" product.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby dulles29 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:05 pm

Thx Again Steve

I have been getting my OptiMag from VRP. They run sales regularly and I can usually get them BOGO. There is a sale going on thru today FYI. Some restrictions do apply.
I take one cap twice daily w/meals and 2 at bedtime for the reasons you stated. I'm going to continue with the spray for now as it takes all of 30 seconds to apply after I shower at night.

Best
Steve
dulles29

Return to Endurance Forum