Forum

Product: Recoverite FAQs

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Product: Recoverite FAQs

Postby astroross » Wed May 19, 2010 6:17 pm

How well you perform tomorrow depends on how well you recover today, which is why you can't cut corners when it comes to your post-workout fueling.

Train hard, recover right today and feel great tomorrow.

I thought it might prove to be a good idea to have a topic for each product so if you have questions about that product you could read through what others have tried before you and that way it's quick to grasp the uses of a particular product.
astroross

Re: Product: Recoverite FAQs

Postby astroross » Thu May 20, 2010 10:44 am

Recoverite + Protein = ?

I've recently been adding more strength sessions to my week in the effort to get stronger on the bike. So I've been doing hour long sessions on the legs - afterward I take Recoverite within 15 mins normally or at longest 30mins, the difference is I also mix in 1 serving of protein powder.

First I'm taking the extra protein to help with the muscle development and the recoverite to help with being ready to do the next session, I have been doing 2-3 sessions a day. EG: Core Session in the morning then afternoon run and evening weights.

It tastes great but I wanted to ask if that is the right thing to do, or if anyone sees any issues with doing that?

Ross.
astroross

Postby ssrknordic » Mon May 24, 2010 6:18 am

Hi Ross,

In addition to the Recoverite one thing you can try with your strength workouts to improve regeneration is complex your hard interval days( level 4 or 85-90% of MHR) with maximum strength workouts (just 2 exercises usually 1 upper body 1 lower body, of 4 sets of 3-4 reps at 95-100% max). You need to do the strength right after the interval workout(within 10-15 mins)

Theory behind this (through several studies) is after the intervals you have high levels of cortisol which can cause muscle damage, the max strength stimulates a testosterone and GH response which supress the cortisol response. Net result you recover quicker. Sounds counter intuitive but it works well. Many of the Nordic National teams have been doing this for years.

Just some thoughts....

Take care,

Stuart

Stuart Kremzner, MS, CSCS
Operations Director
Athletic Republic NH
stuart@athleticrepublicnh.com
www.athleticrepublicnh.com
ssrknordic

Postby steve-born » Mon May 24, 2010 6:26 pm

Hello Ross -

Nothing to add to the information Stuart's provided... the man knows his stuff!

As far as adding a scoop of Hammer Whey to your Recoverite after a strength session, I personally see nothing wrong with that at all.

*** 2 scoops of Recoverite supplies 170 calories and includes 32 grams of carbs, 10 grams of protein (whey protein isolate), and 3 grams of glutamine.

*** 1 scoop of Hammer Whey supplies 80 calories and includes 0 grams of carbs, 18 grams of protein (whey protein isolate), and 6 grams of glutamine.

TOTAL FOR BOTH:

*** Calories - 250
*** Carbs - 32 grams
*** Protein - 28 grams
*** Glutamine - 9 grams

To my understanding, there's never really been a consensus in terms of how many grams of protein a person can digest/absorb/utilize at a given time, though if I remember correctly it's about 30 or so grams, tops.

So with your Recoverite/Hammer Whey combination after your strength sessions you're within that "30 grams of protein" amount, plus you're consuming minimal amounts of calories and carbs, and a v-e-r-y hefty (and beneficial, in my opinion) dose of glutamine.

I personally think this is an excellent post-strength workout "cocktail."

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby astroross » Tue May 25, 2010 4:54 pm

Thanks Stuart and Steve for you comments.

Stuart,
Are you saying that I should try and fit a weight session right after a hard run or hard bike session (within 15 mins)?

That's an interesting thought, I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice,
Ross
astroross

Postby ssrknordic » Wed May 26, 2010 7:01 am

Hi Ross,

That's right need to hit it in that 10-15 minute window. Complexed strength training like this works best in your pre-comp or competitive training phases. You will feel pretty whipped 10mins into the strength but will be more recovered the next day. These extra things add to the 3 and 5% (have not seen the empirical data on this) better regeneration over the hundreds of hours a year of training add up substantially to an increase in performance. How it gets tweeked to the individual is where the art of training comes more into play.

Will definitely be recommending Steve's post-strength workout "cocktail." Sounds like a recipe for a great Hammer product for the speed- power athletes!

The vast majority of the athletes finish their workout jump in their car and head off the next activity. This is where products like Recoverite are invaluable, to jump in the car and have a water bottle to down is pivotal, especially when student athletes have 3 hours of homework to do later and need to be fully hydrated and cognitively sharp to get the work done.

--
Take care,

Stuart

Stuart Kremzner, MS, CSCS
Operations Director
Athletic Republic NH
stuart@athleticrepublicnh.com
www.athleticrepublicnh.com
ssrknordic

Return to Endurance Forum