Forum

Best programs and muscles groups for triathlon

Best programs and muscles groups for triathlon

Postby FL510 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:49 am

Will someone fill me in on a good program and muscle group to compliment triathlon training? With a limited amount of time each week for working out, multiple muscle group workouts are not possible for me. If I was able to use the Compex for 1 muscle group per day, what would that be?

Currently I have been doing 5 week cycles each of Strength, Endurance and Resistance. Quads 2 x week. Lats 2 x week and the recovery program whenever I have time.
Thanks!
FL510

Re: Best programs and muscles groups for triathlon

Postby casey-becker » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:59 am

Hi FL510,

I can keep this one ‘short and sweet’ and get you pointed in the right direction. This link, http://www.hammernutrition.com/download ... otocol.pdf, will open a PDF titled “Compex Training – Triathlon Protocols” from our website under the ‘tab’ “Knowledge” (at the top of the page) and then selecting “Compex Electrical Muscle Stimulation.” You may also find some other helpful information in this section and would recommend that you check it out.

I would like to also suggest that you try to make use of the recovery program(s) after any and all of your conventional and NMES training, as recovery is going to be a crucial component in your athletic goals.

I hope you find this helpful. Keep us posted and let us know if there is anything else!

Casey
casey-becker

Postby FL510 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:48 pm

Thanks Casey,

I guess I'm wondering if you only had time for 1 muscle group per day, what would that be. Per the protocol that you linked, some of the days have 4 muscle groups. If I was doing an endurance session of 50 minutes, this would take over 3.5 hours... not a very realistic training program. I would imagine that most people have the time for 1 program and possibly a recovery program added on.

Quads seem to be the best group for cycling and probably cary over into running. Possibly hamstrings or calfs for running? What would you recommend for swimming?

Tiff
FL510

Postby levi-hoch » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:49 am

Hello Tiff,

I think the muscle group you should focus on most is subjective to your unique physiology. If you feel you're naturally gifted (or adequate) at the cycling and running disciplines but feel you could stand to improve your swimming fitness, you might want to focus more on the swimming muscle development and the most efficient application of Compex training would then be on your weaker muscle group. As Jim Bruskewitz explains on pg. 20 of Endurance News 79 he focuses on lats, tris, and abs for swimming and quads and glutes for the other disciplines of his triathlons. Jim shares in the article how Brendan Halpin (a pro triathlete he's coaching - also read pg. 18) has effectively used Compex to improve his swim times dramatically by running the strength enhancing programs on his upper body (such as the lats, tris, or abs). If you feel your lats are not as developed as your other muscles, you would then focus your strength training via Compex on the lats. If on the other hand, you feel confident in your swimming but want to improve your running times, you could focus on the calves, quads, hammstrings, or whatever you feel needs the most work at the time. If you have a noticeable muscle imbalance in any of these muscle groups, you would probably want to focus on correcting the imbalance and run the strength programs on that muscle group. If for example, you feel your upper body muscles are reasonably symmetrical but you have a weaker leg, you can train the muscles in your legs and work on increasing the intensity on the weaker side to build that side up to where the dominant leg is at. Look for a similar amount of visible muscle movement and contraction and increase the intensity on the side that shows less movement at the same level as the other side until visible symmetry is achieved. If you train consistently keeping this in mind, you will be able to even out muscle imbalances and get similar fitness from both sides. I think this would be a very efficient use of the Compex if you're limited on how much time you can devote and want to prioritize your limited use of the device.

Although we suggest isolating the muscle group you're training with the Compex and using enough pads to cover a maximal amount of muscle mass, you can use less pads per muscle when running Active Recovery and recover multiple muscle groups simultaneously. Isolating a muscle group such as the quads as opposed to training another muscle group at the same time allows you to fine tune the intensity to exactly where you need it to be but when it comes time for Active Recovery, you can be more efficient with the time by using only 2 electrodes and 1 lead wire per quadriceps, freeing up the other 2 lead wires and 4 additional pads can be applied to another muscle group to optimize the 20 minutes of Active Recovery. You should use Active Recovery as often as possible as it will keep the muscles loose and help maintain muscle fitness and muscle fiber memory that you've trained using the strength enhancing programs.

I hope this answers your question, but let me know if you have further questions or concerns.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Postby FL510 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:09 am

Awesome info Levi! Thank you for also mentioning the single electrode cable recovery and muscle imbalance. I was wondering how to balance them out...visually and/or by feel. I have noticed a great improvement when I consistently use the Compex. I also use it while traveling and don't get that achy swollen leg feeling on a long flight.

Thanks again,
Tiff
FL510

Return to Electrical Muscle Stimulation