Forum

Multivitamin 3-Hour Rule?

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Multivitamin 3-Hour Rule?

Postby andygarner » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:55 am

Hi Steve,
Do Premium Insurance Caps and/or multivitamins need to follow the usual 3-hour pre-ride rule? Do dietary supplements like these start the insulin train rolling?
andygarner

Re: Multivitamin 3-Hour Rule?

Postby steve-born » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:46 pm

Hi Andy -

The only reason we suggest that Premium Insurance Caps not be taken prior to exercise is due to the niacin (vitamin B3) component. I think we mentioned this in Endurance News #82 but since I had the short article readily available, I've taken the liberty of posting this here:

Our recommendation is that niacin supplements or high-niacin foods may be consumed after exercise, but not before. Dr. Bill Misner explains why:

“Niacin (vitamin B3) reduces serum free fatty acids, increases carbohydrate oxidation rate, increases pyruvate dehydrogenase activation during exercise, and increases the rate of lean muscle amino acid cannibalization for energy production. Taking niacin prior to exercise presents the potential for premature bonking when exercising more than 40 minutes. As an example, consuming an energy fuel with 100% of the Daily Value of niacin (18 mg) during a prolonged workout may actually inhibit performance. Foods rich in niacin include liver, lean meat, poultry, fish, rabbit, nuts, peanuts, yeast, cereals, legumes, asparagus, seeds, milk, and green leafy vegetables. Peak niacin concentrations typically occur five hours after intake.”

REFERENCE:
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2003;284 589-596.

--- END ---

I hope this helps!

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum