Forum

Race Day Boost

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Race Day Boost

Postby newbycyclist » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi Everyone, my name is Derek

I am entered in a big cycle race for us Kiwis called around Taupo lake classic on November 24th, which is a 155km ride, I wanted to use Race day boost for this event but have only just got the product and have only this week to take and this weekend to test before I load up for the Taupo ride.

What I wondered is, Is it a problem taking the product two weeks in a row like this as a one off, and are there any problems/ side effects etc whilst riding longer rides like this that I may encounter. I just dont want to hit this ride and soffer some ill effects I wasnt aware of.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated, oh and by the way I fuel with perpetuem, hydrate with fizz tabs if this makes any difference.

Thanks
Derek
newbycyclist

Re: Race Day Boost

Postby steve-born » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:46 pm

Hello Derek -

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your questions regarding Race Day Boost (RDB). Here are my thoughts:

In the article 15 Simple Ways To Improve Your Athletic Performance Right Now I wrote the following as the 9th topic:

Don’t use any new supplement or fuel, or supplement/fueling protocol, in a race without having first tested it in training.

This is a cardinal rule for all athletes, yet you’d be amazed how many break it. Unless you’re absolutely desperate and willing to accept the consequences, do not try anything new in competition, be it equipment, fuel, or tactics. These all must be tested and refined in training.

Because all Hammer Nutrition fuels are specific and formulated to easily combine with one another, you have all the flexibility you need to ensure that you can tailor a fueling program for any length of race, regardless of conditions. You’ll never have to guess or try something off the table in hopes of trying to keep going another hour.

-- END --

So it is a really good idea to do a "test run" with RDB in training, prior to using it for your event. That's the only way you'll know how your body responds to it.

The issue you're facing is that you don't have as much time before the event to test the product as I'd like you to have. We generally recommend testing RDB prior to a hard workout (which, again, is the best way to ascertain how your body will respond to it), then reserve its use for specific events or races... basically your "A" events/races.

We also suggest that when athletes do a loading dose of RDB, they allow at least 2 weeks, ideally up to 4 weeks, in between loading doses. The reason for that is because the more frequently one uses RDB the less effective it becomes. Also, consumption of that much sodium phosphate (the primary ingredient in the product) too frequently is believed to inhibit the absorption of calcium, and potentially some other nutrients.

Plus, for every 1000 mg of sodium phosphate you take (one serving of RDB), you’re adding an additional 193 mg of sodium to your diet. Most of us are consuming too much sodium on a daily basis as it is, so consuming another 193 mg of sodium (772 mg per day when taking four servings of RDB a day)—is something one would want to do infrequently. In fact, when athletes do a full four-day loading dose of RBD, we strongly advise them to be even more cognizant of the sodium that they’re consuming in their diet, lowering it to compensate for the amount of sodium that they’re obtaining from RDB.

Bottom line is that sodium phosphate is a nutrient compound that you neither need nor want to take too much of and too frequently. You test it (RDB) in training 2-4 weeks prior to a key event or race, you do a four-day loading dose prior to that event, and then you use it only for your primary events/races, allowing at least two weeks (ideally closer to four weeks) between loading doses.

So you're kind of in a "caught between a rock and a hard place" scenario in that it'd be ideal for you to test the product at least a couple of weeks prior to the event. Unfortunately, you don't have that luxury. I think there is a happy medium, however, which is that you NOT do the full four-times-a-day-for-four-days loading dose, but a shorter, lower-frequency-per-day loading dose. That way you'll have an idea of how your responds to the product but without overwhelming it with too much sodium phosphate prior to doing the full loading dose in the four days prior to the event.

So here's a suggestion for your "test run" of RDB:

Day One: 2 teaspoons RDB or 2 RDB capsules one time/day
Day Two: 2 teaspoons RDB or 2 RDB capsules two times/day
Day Three: 2 teaspoons RDB or 2 RDB capsules three times/day
Day Four: Training Day... no RDB

Again, that should be a sufficient test of how your body responds to RDB but without overdoing it (and thus, negating at least some of its beneficial effects) prior to doing the regular, four-day loading dose protocol.

Please keep in mind that this is just a suggestion and that I have no "science" to back up this particular "test run" protocol. However, I think it is a good way to test the product in the short time frame in which you have to test it.

I hope that what I've written makes sense and will be helpful to you, Derek. If you need more clarification or have any further questions, please let me know.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum