Forum

can you add supplements to liquid mix

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

can you add supplements to liquid mix

Postby scud » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:23 pm

Is it ok to empty capsules (e.g., race caps,mito caps,endurolytes) into a heed/perpetuem mix so you can just drink it all down sans pills?

Thanks!
scud

Re: can you add supplements to liquid mix

Postby steve-born » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:09 pm

Hello Scud -

Sorry for the tardy reply... I just recently returned from a month-long trip and am playing catch up with emails and forum questions.

The answer to your question is "yes," you can open up the contents of the capsules into your drink mix. A couple things to keep in mind:

1) The flavor of your drink will be altered, simply because some of the nutrients in the product are not at all pleasant tasting.

2) Some of the fat-soluble nutrients (mainly the Coenzyme Q10 in Race Caps Supreme) don't always dissolve completely in solution (ditto for some of the minerals in Endurolytes). The Coenzyme Q10 oftentimes sticks to the sides or top of the bottle (even lodging itself in the nozzle), and oftentimes the minerals in Endurolytes settle to the bottom of the bottle. To help resolve this issue, make sure you give the bottle a good shake prior to taking a drink from it.

If you try this (emptying the capsule contents into your drink mix) but find that it's not to your liking, check out our suggestions in the blog "Capsule Carrying Made Easier" at http://www.hammernutrition.com/blog/capsule-carrying-made-easier/

I hope this helps!

Sincerely -

Steve

Is it ok to empty capsules (e.g., race caps,mito caps,endurolytes) into a heed/perpetuem mix so you can just drink it all down sans pills?
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re: can you add supplements to liquid mix

Postby scud » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:58 am

Thanks Steve!

This all makes a lot of sense. I didn't mind cranking down the pills each hour during the 508. It was not much of a distraction after all and nuking the taste of a delicious orange perpetuem/heed mix would not have been desirable.

I'll check the blog link you sent for more info.

Thanks again,
Sean
scud

Return to Endurance Forum