Forum

Meal Replacement.....

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Meal Replacement.....

Postby mtbykr » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:27 am

With my new work schedule I am on the road most days, home at night. I have found it very difficult to find time to eat, especially eat correctly. I have taken to skipping meals quite frequently instead of eating bad (fast food, ect...) Several coworkers I ride with have taken to 'meal replacement shakes' instead of 'fast food'. (Body by Vi, Shakeology, ect....) However after reading some of the ingredients in these I want to steer clear of them, but the concept is very appealing. Is there something I can use from Hammer, or a combination?

If it matters, I train with Heed, gel, and Perpetuem. Daily intake is: PIC, Mito, Salmon Oil, Chromate, Tissue Rejuvenator, and a Carlson Vit D3 (if I'm not able to train outside)

Thanks in advance,

David
mtbykr

Re: Meal Replacement.....

Postby steve-born » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:33 am

Hello David -

It won't be in a super-thick shake consistency, but I like using a 2-scoop serving of Recoverite as a quick meal replacement. The only thing I'd be careful about is that the maltodextrin in the product (the complex carbohydrates) are high on the Glycemic Index (GI) scale. During exercise and immediately after, consuming high GI carbohydrates is desirable and beneficial. The rest of the time, however, we want to focus more on the consumption of moderate-to-low GI carbohydrate sources.

That said, the occasional use of Recoverite is certainly acceptable and, in my opinion, quite beneficial.

Another option is to use Hammer Whey, either the unflavored or vanilla flavor, as your protein "base," then mixing it in a blender with water and frozen fruit (I like the Cascadian Farms brand). This will give you a very healthy "carbs + protein" drink and it will be much thicker (and thus, perhaps more satisfying) meal replacement drink. It's obviously a little more labor intensive than going strictly with Recoverite and water, but I think it's worth it... you get the same high quality protein that you do in Recoverite, you get even more glutamine, and you get all of the healthy phytonutrients from the organic frozen fruit that you're using.

Those are the two options that I think would be most ideal.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby mtbykr » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:48 pm

Steve,

Thank you for your reply. In regard to the whey/fruit option, is there a 'time limit' i should adhere to as to how long it will keep? For example I know when I use perpetuem or Recoverite I don't mix it at home, I mix it right before I consume it. Obviously with the whey/fruit option this is something I need to prepare before I leave the house in the morning, and I wasn't sure how long it would keep.

Thanks again,

David
mtbykr

Postby steve-born » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:34 am

Hello David -

I find that when I make a Hammer Whey/frozen fruit shake, it lasts for quite awhile, thanks to the frozen fruit (which I use liberally). We're fortunate to have a fully stocked kitchen here at Hammer headquarters, so I can make my shake "on the spot." And, if for some reason I can't finish all of it, I put it in the refrigerator or freezer until I'm ready to consume the rest of it.

Obviously, a Hammer Whey/frozen fruit that is made at home won't stay thick and frosty for as long, especially if it's sitting in the passenger seat in direct sunlight and/or if your commute to work is super long. Other than that, however, the mixture should be just fine. If in doubt, you might want to carry the bottle in one of those small ice chest/coolers.

Hope this helps!

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re: Short term only?

Postby alpsmasher » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:31 pm

Steve, your comments "blending several ingredients", though, is this short-term or long?

Don't see the actual intake of greens, orange, white nutrients.

Seems your mixed maybe, as I have done, for the occational "miss a full meal", it should not be your living-method of an "everyday" schedule?
alpsmasher

Postby steve-born » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:45 am

Hello alspsmasher -

Whenever I consume a Hammer Whey/frozen fruit shake, I am getting a pretty darn good meal replacement drink, one that contains high-quality protein as well as a variety of fruits, which contain a plethora of health-benefiting phytochemicals. I'm not suggesting that this kind of meal replacement is a 3-times-a-day thing, but it does cover a lot of nutritional "bases" when used on occasion, and without tasting foul. I'm not sure if I'd be able to add (as an example) an orange bell pepper to the mix and tolerate the taste. Some people may be able to do that but I doubt I would. Another possibility to bolster vegetable nutrition in the Hammer Whey/frozen fruit smoothie is to empty the contents from a couple capsules of Phytomax into the mix. I've yet to try this but I'm going to give it a go.

I obtain my vegetables - orange (bell peppers), red (bell peppers), green (lettuce, spinach), and white (cauliflower) - from the salads I make, so I try to cover my "veggie bases" that way (I also take Phytomax twice daily).

There are plenty of powdered vegetable drink mixes available, should one want to add that to the Hammer Whey/frozen fruit smoothie that I've suggested, and there are also some very good ready-to-drink vegetable/green drinks as well. Used occasionally, I believe they too make pretty good meal replacement drinks, especially when compared to the ones that are usually found in health food/bodybuilding stores.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum