Forum

Shoulder Separation

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Shoulder Separation

Postby rodwilsonsr » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Hi all,
just as the subject says, I experienced my 1st grade 5 shoulder separation over a week ago.
I was going 25 mph and went straight into a storm drain that was set four inches below the grade of the pavement. They had repaved the road about a year ago, and never raise the storm drain.
I landed square on my left shoulder. Immediately I had no range of motion in my arm. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital treated with pain medication and an x-ray confirming a shoulder separation.
I finally had the surgery a week ago. I had no idea how much pain was going to be involved.
I am taking for tissue rejuv twice a day, premium insurance caps once a day and I didn't know what other supplementation I could do to help Excel recovery.
I do have a globus but I'm not sure how I can implement a program to help retain muscle mass.
I would really appreciate if anyone could share their recovery process through something like this. Obviously, this feels like such the end of the road for a lot of different things. Even though I know that's not the reality, emotionally it's hard to get away from.
My surgery was performed by a doctor at the University of Connecticut. He utilizes a special brace that wraps around my entire torso and then has a right angle bracket that holds my left arm immobile for a complete 6 weeks.

I'll stop rambling for now, and please let me know if anyone has any thoughts.
Thanks for reading
Rod
rodwilsonsr

Re: Shoulder Separation

Postby natellerandi » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:07 pm

Hi Rod:

I, too, suffered a completely separated shoulder. It's not fun; sorry to hear about your accident. I'll tell you a little bit about my experience and then try to tie it back to your own.

I opted against surgery. My neighbor is the ortho for the CU and DU (Colorado and Denver universities) athletic teams. Before that, he worked with the NY Giants. I was very confident in speaking with him and getting his feedback given his sports injury background. After an initial trip to the hospital and being told I'd have to stop cycling for 6-8 weeks minimum, my neighbor said that I could actually get back on the bike right away. He said I couldn't do any more damage to the shoulder, so if I could tolerate the pain, then I could ride. So, I did. I went back to training and raced the rest of the season (my separation occurred in May).

My neighbor had said he was against surgery unless I came to him one day saying the pain was too much. Surgery isn't a guaranteed repair given the complexity of the shoulder joint, plus I couldn't imagine dedicating an entire year to surgery, immobilization and rehab. So around Labor Day of that year, I decided to start rehabbing on my own. To me, it was a question of getting the joint strong again. I vividly remember deciding to set the benchmark of how many push-ups I could complete. I couldn't do any. In fact, I could do 5 girl push-ups (on my knees). While the shoulder didn't hurt, the wiring was all messed up. The body had to relearn how to send messages to the muscles to fire. When I tried arm lifts with dumbbells, I had to start with a 2lb weight. I was literally looking at my arm and willing it to rise. It just wasn't getting the message.

Gradually, but fairly quickly, the re-wiring happened and the strength came back. It wasn't long before my arm was back to full strength. About the only thing I can't do, now 6 years later, is swim any significant distance or duration. A few laps is fine, but the looseness of the joint means things start to grind with all the rotating. It feels "weird" at times, but I'm pain free. It just looks icky in the mirror, I guess.

The only lasting side effect that I'm aware of is that there must be some nerve damage or nerves being pinched now because my hand tends to go numb on the bike when I ride on the brake hoods for a long time. This never used to occur pre-accident.

So, what does this mean for you? Whether or not the surgery ends up being a complete success, the good news is that you'll regain your strength and mobility. There shouldn't be any lasting effects of the accident. TR should help with recovery, one would think. Not sure about the Compex. But why wouldn't it, right? Hit your rehab with gusto and my guess is you'll be back to 100% ahead of the predictions.

Good luck!
Nate
natellerandi

Re: Shoulder Separation

Postby levi-hoch » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:48 pm

Dear Rod,

I am sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad you decided to use Tissue Rejuvenator at the 4 capsule, 2x daily dose for recovery. This is our primary supplement recommendation. Salmon oil is also very good for promoting joint and connective tissue health and works well in combination with Tissue Rejuvenator. Keep using the Premium Insurance Caps (I recommend a full 7 capsules per day in divided doses for optimal benefits) to allow your body to function at its highest capacity and repair its self. Eat a healthy diet and get plenty of rest.

I do think the Globus will be helpful to you. I must first remind you that EMS should NEVER be used over or near an area with any metal implants, screws, pins, etc. If screws or pins were used in your shoulder, you won't be able to run the Globus in the vicinity but if not, try to surround the injured area with the pads to create a circuit somewhat between the pads moving the muscles in the injured area. The application for injury recovery with EMS results from creating muscle movement and enhancing circulation to keep fresh blood and nutrients in the affected area and flush bad blood or waste out of the area. At this point you should be able to run either Active Recovery or Stretch Relax (if your unit is equipped with these programs) on your shoulder as long as you don't find it too uncomfortable. Consistent use of EMS on your shoulder will yield the best results. You should run one of these recovery programs on the shoulder every day and if you have the time, go ahead and run it multiple times per day. Many people have experienced surprising benefits from using EMS for recovery from injury and have been able to regain mobility and strength even years after they had "fully recovered" through conventional means. The only contraindication I would mention (aside from not using it around any metal implants) is if you experience discomfort for some reason, possibly resulting from the muscle movement irritating the still tender area, you'll probably want to give it a little more time before starting to use it in recovery.

The Globus can also be helpful in maintaining muscle strength and memory in muscles that you might not be able to use while injured. You might find it useful in maintaining muscle fitness in your legs if you do have to take some time off the bike.

I hope this was helpful. Best of luck to you in your recovery!

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Return to Endurance Forum