Forum

Recoverite timing when using Compex

Recoverite timing when using Compex

Postby JxA » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:34 pm

I've recently picked up a Compex Elite to help with my recovery and now that I'm starting to get a bit more active I'm looking to understand the appropriate timing to take Recoverite now that Compex is part of my workout regimen.

Below are some scenarios which I'd like to understand a bit more so I can adjust my workouts / nutrition accordingly:

Situation 1: Is there any need to take a recovery drink when I only do a few Compex Strength/Endurance sessions and don't do any actual running or riding?

Situation 2: If I ride/run then use Compex for strength/endurance should I take Recoverite as soon as I finish my active workout or should I wait until after I finish the Compex program?

Situation 3: If I ride/run, then a couple hours later plan to use the Compex strength/endurance program should I take Recoverite after the ride or wait until after I finish the Compex programs?

Situation 4: After I ride/run I take Recoverite and use the Compex Recovery program - is this appropriate?

The root of all my questions is basically trying to understand if a Compex strength/enduranceWorkout is a full workout, or if it is a partial workout so I don't need to worry about ammonia buildup reducing the effectiveness of the stim session.

Thanks much!

John
JxA

Re: Recoverite timing when using Compex

Postby steve-born » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:55 pm

Hello John -

Before I posted my answers, I consulted with our Compex expert, Jim Bruskewitz. Here are our combined answers to your questions:

Situation 1: Is there any need to take a recovery drink when I only do a few Compex Strength/Endurance sessions and don't do any actual running or riding?

ANSWER: Yes, there is a need to take a recovery drink (Recoverite) that contains both protein and carbohydrates. Since the muscle tissue has been stimulated ("been put through a workout") - and if you increase the amplitude/intensity of the program you're doing you're reaching a wider and deeper range of muscle fibers - some protein afterward would definitely be merited, providing the amino acids the muscle fibers need for reparation purposes. You need the carbohydrates because you are most definitely tapping into glycogen stores when doing any of the workouts with a Compex strength program (Strength, Resistance, and Endurance). The contraction durations with the warm up and recovery programs are thousandths of a second and won't fatigue the muscle. With that in mind, the carbohydrate component of Recoverite, consumed after any of the strength programs, will replenish glycogen stores and should speed recovery. Of all the measures that have been tried to correlate with fatigue, muscle glycogen level is the only one with a significant correlation.

Situation 2: If I ride/run then use Compex for strength/endurance should I take Recoverite as soon as I finish my active workout or should I wait until after I finish the Compex program?

ANSWER: I don't think it really matters. However, if it were me, if the time between the ride/run workout and the Compex strength/endurance workout is minimal (say, less than 30 minutes), I'd wait until after completing the Compex program before consuming Recoverite. Again, I don't see any harm in taking Recoverite after your ride/run workout and prior to the Compex strength/endurance workout. However, given the choice I think you'll get more "bang for your buck" taking Recoverite after the Compex workout, assuming that the time between the two workouts isn't too long.

Situation 3: If I ride/run, then a couple hours later plan to use the Compex strength/endurance program should I take Recoverite after the ride or wait until after I finish the Compex programs?

ANSWER: If only to replenish glycogen stores, I would take Recoverite after your ride/run workout, especially because it's going to be 2+ hours prior to the start of a Compex strength/endurance program. Now, after the Compex program, you'll probably be ready for a "real food" meal so my suggestion is to just eat a good quality meal.

Situation 4: After I ride/run I take Recoverite and use the Compex Recovery program - is this appropriate?

ANSWER: You could do either -- take Recoverite after the ride/run workout or having it during the Compex "Active Recovery" program. Personally, I like to get Recoverite into my system 30 minutes or sooner after a glycogen-depletion workout (such as your ride/run workout), so

You wrote: The root of all my questions is basically trying to understand if a Compex strength/endurance workout is a full workout, or if it is a partial workout so I don't need to worry about ammonia buildup reducing the effectiveness of the stim session.

RESPONSE: Compared to all of the post-workout benefits provided by the glutamine component in Recoverite, any ammonia "issue" that's attached to it is easily trumped. If there is any reduction of effectiveness of the E-Stim program via consumption of Recoverite, it would be minimal, at best, and completely overwhelmed by all of the positive benefits that you will accrue.

I hope this helps answer your questions to your satisfaction, John!

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re: Recoverite timing when using Compex

Postby JxA » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:05 pm

Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to contact Jim and provide me an informative and detailed explanation for how I should use this new 'toy'!

Thanks tons,

John
JxA

Return to Electrical Muscle Stimulation