Forum

Watterlogged-Noakes New Book

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Watterlogged-Noakes New Book

Postby UltraGeoffrey » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:57 pm

Wondering what folks think of Noakes new book: Waterlogged. He has done a 180 on hydration from his earlier days. I have just read the reviews of the book over on iRunFar and it seems his position is very controversial. I plan to buy the book to see what studies he cites. Has anybody read the book yet and if so what do you think?
UltraGeoffrey

Re: Watterlogged-Noakes New Book

Postby steve-born » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:54 pm

I have yet to read the book (need to pick up a copy soon), but I have read a blog that goes over a few points that Noakes makes, most-to-all of which appear to be in line with our "less is best" philosophy regarding fueling.

One of the more eye-opening ones (to me, anyway) is the belief (dogma) that "We need to supplement with sodium to complete long-distance endurance events, and that heavy sodium concentrations in sweat – evidenced by salt-staining on skin and clothing – identifies a person as a 'salty sweater', and that these people need even more sodium supplementation."

Noakes contends that "The body self-regulates blood sodium concentration via several mechanisms, including sodium sparing in sweat and urine. When one 'drinks to thirst,' blood sodium concentration invariably rises during prolonged exercise; it never falls." Noakes also adds: "The self-regulation of sodium concentration results in sodium excesses being secreted; salty secretions will cease when sodium balance is achieved."

In my opinion, what Noakes is advocating - as have we - is a "body cooperative" amount of fluid and sodium (plus other electrolytes) during exercise, allowing the complex and effective mechanisms already built in the the body to function effectively so as to maintain the optimal performance of many important bodily functions. As Dr. Bill Misner says, "To suggest that fluids, sodium, and fuels-induced glycogen replenishment can happen at the same rate as it is spent during exercise is simply not true. Endurance exercise beyond 1-2 hours is a deficit spending entity, with proportionate return or replenishment always in arrears. The endurance exercise outcome is to postpone fatigue, not to replace all the fuel, fluids, and electrolytes lost during the event. It can’t be done, though many of us have tried."

"The human body has so many survival safeguards by which it regulates living one more minute, that when we try too hard to fulfill all its needs we interfere, doing more harm than good. At an easy aerobic pace, the rate of metabolism increases from a sedentary state to a range of 1200-2000%. As a result, the body goes into 'survival mode' where blood volume is routed to working muscles, fluids are used for evaporative cooling mechanisms, and oxygen is routed to the brain, heart, and other internal organisms. Interestingly, it is NOT focused on calorie, fluid, and electrolyte replacement, as some of the 'experts' advise."

There is a lot more in Noakes' book that could be commented on; these are just a few things that, courtesy of a blog post, that caught my mind.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum