Forum

New to Hammer

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

New to Hammer

Postby yorkcb7 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:36 pm

Good Evening,

I am new to hammer nutrition. Its getting to racing season (Triathlon/Ironman). After two recent Bonks for w/e reason I am trying to over haul my nutrition on the bike this year. My recent ride this weekend was a 3.5 hour with multiple intervals Z3/4. This was also my first ride with Hammer. Usually use Clif gel/blocks and EFS. I am an early rider, and a light eater prior to rides. Usually on the bike between 7-8 am and up at 5 am. Always eat a hearty bowl of oatmeal in the morning (500 kcal). I am really looking for some help and guide towards my nutrition overhaul on the bike. Recent ride included a gel before leaving, HEED first hour, Gel second hour, Gel third hour with no bonk.

I have read all information Hammer provides and some. I am looking for some help still though. Long rides this weekend include a 4 hour ride and 2 hour ride. Among swims and runs during the week. What is a good guide for 4 hours on the bike. Gel? bottles? what to take? I hope its not to vague, But some info on what you take on a 4 hour ride would be great information!

Thanks
yorkcb7

Re: New to Hammer

Postby steve-born » Tue May 08, 2012 3:57 pm

Hello yorkcb7 (please include your first name in future posts so we know who you are!) -

First, welcome to Hammer Nutrition! As far as your fueling is concerned, for a 3-4 hour bike ride you have a ton of options available to you. Ideally, when you go beyond two hours, you want some protein in your fuel to help satisfy about 5-15% of the body's energy requirements when exercise goes into a third hour and beyond. That's where Perpetuem comes in... you can use that as your sole fuel from beginning to end, or as your primary fuel, with any of the other Hammer fuels used - for a little variety in the menu - for the remaining time.

Sometimes I'll make a four-hour bottle of Perpetuem and that's all I'll use for fuel. I'll drink 1/4 of that bottle every hour, augment that with plain water from another source (to take care of hydration needs), and supplement with Endurolytes (to fulfill electrolyte requirements). Making concentrated, multi-hour bottles of fuel makes things so easy, at least to me... I don't have to drink so much flavored liquid every hour, I don't have to stop and make more bottles of fuel, and I get to drink and enjoy plain water to cleanse the palate and take care of hydration needs. The only thing I have to do is stop and get more water.

Other times I'll make 2 hours worth of Perpetuem in a bottle and carry a flask of Hammer Gel. Now I have four hours of fuel in one bottle and one flask... simple!

Some people (myself included) can "get away" with going all-carbs (Hammer Gel and/or HEED) for the full 4 hours. This, in my opinion, is perfectly fine, especially during a very hilly and arduous workout). However, I wouldn't want to do that g(o "all carbs") too frequently, due to muscle tissue cannibalization that will eventually occur.

If you haven't already done so, I would encourage you to download a free copy of The Endurance Athlete's GUIDE to SUCCESS (http://www.hammernutrition.com/downloads/fuelinghandbook.pdf). All of the information in this knowledge resource will be of great help to you, I believe, but two articles specific to this thread would be:

"Caloric Intake - Proper Amounts During Exercise"
"Proper Fueling - Pre-Workout & Race Suggestions" (Apply the principles outlined in this article and watch how incredible your body responds. The suggestions we make may seem counterintuitive, but they really do work... after 12 years of working with endurance athletes, not 1 person who has faithfully applied these principles has ever said "it doesn't work." It does, so definitely give a good, consistent test).

Also, the chapter on recovery ("Recovery - A Crucial Component for Success") is contains some really valuable information that will help you get the most out of your training (the "how well you recover today, the better you'll perform tomorrow" train of thought).

If, after reading those articles, you have any specific questions, please feel free to email me directly (sborn@hammernutrition.com) or, better yet, post them on the forum.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby yorkcb7 » Thu May 10, 2012 6:51 pm

Thank you for your quick reply.

Hoping you could give my even more tips for this weekends training ride.

Planning on riding Mooseman IM course. Planning on around 3 hours. I am 117 pounds, I have plenty of Gels, Fizz tabs, and a single serving packet of Perpetuem.

What would the proper way to be to build for this ride?

Thanks
yorkcb7

Postby steve-born » Fri May 11, 2012 3:46 pm

My suggestions are as follows:

1) Use 1 Hammer Gel every 30 minutes for the first hour (total of two pouches). Drink somewhere in the vicinity of 16-24 ounces of water to fulfill hydration needs (how much you need will largely be dependent on the weather).

2) Each single serving packet of Perpetuem contains 270 calories. At your weight, mixing that packet in a regular size (about 25 ounce) bottle of water will cover 2 hours of your fueling requirements. Drink 1/2 of that bottle every hour, augmented by an additional 4-10 ounces of water... again, the amount you need will largely be dependent on the weather.

3) At your weight, I would suggest that 1 - 1.5 tablets of Endurolytes Fizz per hour (put them in your water bottle) would be just right in terms of covering your electrolyte requirements. Carry a couple extra just in case what you've put in your water bottles is proving to be inadequate.

I have an article (in PDF form) entitled " "Tips for a Successful Half or Full Iron Distance Triathlon." Email me if you'd like a copy of this article.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum