Forum

Heed in a 10 oz bottle

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Heed in a 10 oz bottle

Postby brad » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:29 pm

How much Heed do you need if you are only carrying a 10 Oz water bottle
(the charts shows 16-18 oz) – I’m 165 lb. I can mix it in a 16 oz. bottle and transfer it to my running 10 oz.flask- Is that what you would recommend? Or just use 1.5 scoops in a 10 oz (mixing on the higher side)… and last me more than an hour usage?
brad

Re: Heed in a 10 oz bottle

Postby steve-born » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:31 pm

Hello Brad -

For fulfilling hydration requirements - via your fuel and/or plain water - we suggest an intake of 20-25 ounces per hour. Now, if you're a lighter weight athlete or exercising in cool conditions, you won't need that much... 16-18 ounces/hour will work just fine in preventing dehydration. Sometimes, especially if you're a larger athlete and/or exercising in warm-to-hot conditions (and even more so if you're not acclimated to those conditions), you may need upward of 28 ounces.

So you can mix (as an example) 1.5 - 2 scoops of HEED in your 10-ounce bottle; you'll just need to drink some additional water (about 10-15 ounces) from another source to fully meet your hydration needs. in fact, if you wanted to make a 2-hour bottle, using 3-4 scoops of HEED in your 10-ounce bottle, that would be fine as well. Simply drink 5 ounces of that mixture each hour and augment that with an additional 15-20 ounces of plain water to take take care of your hydration needs.

I hope this helps answer your question. If not, please let me know.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby wayne » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:58 pm

I would also take a look at carrying more liquid. Nathan has come out with some great hand held water bottles that carry 22 ounces of liquid. They also have belts that are extremely light and very comfortable. I like the belt due to you can carry some liquid and some snacks also. On longer runs I carry both a hand held and a belt. I would look at Fizz also. They are very easy to use on the move. You could carry a few and stop for water and just drop them right in.
wayne

Postby brad » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:44 pm

Both great suggestion … Using Heed with a higher mixture rate , similar concept that you would do with Perpetuem. The Fizz is something I should try out and experiment with- It's certainly easier to carry.

Thank you
brad

Return to Endurance Forum