Forum

Race Day Boost and laxative effect?

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Race Day Boost and laxative effect?

Postby deadguy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:04 pm

I have tried a few other products on the market to buffer lactic acid...
well they might have done a good job at buffering lactic acid, all the extra magnesium did not do well with my bodies GI system.

I am thinking of giving RDB a try, just wondering if anyone has had this unfortunate side effect from them?

Thanks-
Kyle
deadguy

Re: Race Day Boost and laxative effect?

Postby steve-born » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:11 pm

Hello Kyle -

There is a possibility, though it's unlikely, that you will experience a laxative effect, at least when you do the first serving or two of Race Day Boost during the 4-day loading dose. If this does occur (and there's no guarantee as to if it will or not), it is simply due to your body not "being ready" (for lack of a better term) to accommodate than much sodium phosphate.

It's very similar to when strength athletes/body builders do a loading dose with creatine monohydrate; that first serving or two can be a bit of a shock to the body, which can often mean "unexpected bathroom break." Once the body adapts to the intake of "X" amount of a substance like sodium phosphate or creatine monohydrate, the laxative effect usually does not occur again.

It's a little different story when it comes to magnesium in that the consumption of high of that particular mineral will ALWAYS have a laxative effect. That's a naturally occurring effect from the consumption of more magnesium than the body can accommodate, which is why an awful lot of over-the-shelf laxatives are merely high doses of magnesium.

Also, everyone's "tolerance levels" are different with magnesium (the same is true with vitamin C). Some people can consume "X" amount of magnesium (or vitamin C) without experiencing a laxative effect, while others may take the exact same amount, or even a smaller amount, and experience a laxative effect.

Bottom line is that you MIGHT have a bowel movement when first taking Race Day Boost. If you do, it is simply because your body is not yet used to the 1000 mg dose of sodium phosphate. Your body will adapt, however, so you should not experience this after the first dose or two (if you experience a laxative effect at all) throughout the 4-day loading.

I hope this information will be helpful to you.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby jeremyangle » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:56 pm

Steve,

Always enjoy reading your posts and replies to questions. I never would of thought RDB gives a laxative effect. I am testing it next week for the first time. Since I am racing a pre-season half marathon before the real triathlon season begins.

Thanks again! Hammer On!

Jeremy Angle
jeremyangle

Postby mck414 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:38 pm

Just wanted to add my two cents. I tried RDB for the first time last week with no issues.

I weigh 156 and took two pills twice a day for the first two days, then two pills three times a day, and two pills four times a day.

Casey
mck414

Postby steve-born » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Casey, which reminded me to share our "based on body weight" dosage suggestions. You'll find them in the USAGE link on the Race Day Boost web page; however, I've taken the liberty of posting that information for everyone here:

The majority of the studies of the main ingredient in Race Day Boost (RDB), sodium phosphate, showed remarkably positive, performance-enhancing results with administration of 1 gram (1000 mg) of the nutrient four times daily for four straight days. That is our dosage recommendation for most athletes. However, it is theoretically possible that lighter weight athletes may be able to achieve the same benefits using less of this nutrient.

With that in mind, here are some suggested usage instructions—based on a range of body weights—which you may want to test in your training:

Alternate Race Day Boost Loading Dose Protocol*

Up to 125 lbs
Day One: 2 teaspoons RDB or 2 RDB capsules one time/day
Day Two: 2 teaspoons RDB or 2 RDB capsules two times/day
Day Three: 2 teaspoons RDB or 2 RDB capsules two times/day
Day Four: 2 teaspoons RDB or 2 RDB capsules three times/day

126-160 lbs
Day One: 2 teaspoons RDB or 2 RDB capsules two times/day
Day Two: 2 teaspoons RDB or 2 RDB capsules three times/day
Day Three: 2 teaspoons RDB or 2 RDB capsules three times/day
Day Four: 2 teaspoons RDB or 2 RDB capsules four times/day

160+ lbs
Day One: 2 teaspoons RDB or 2 RDB capsules four times/day
Day Two: 2 teaspoons RDB or 2 RDB capsules four times/day
Day Three: 2 teaspoons RDB or 2 RDB capsules four times/day
Day Four: 2 teaspoons RDB or 2 RDB capsules four times/day

*It’s important to note that these are estimated doses. Each athlete must test this protocol for Race Day Boost in training before using it in the four days prior to a race.
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum