Forum

PIC and stomach/GI issues

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

PIC and stomach/GI issues

Postby d_opperman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:05 pm

I am preparing for a spring marathon and recently began using Hammer Nutrition's Premium Insurance Caps (PICs). A training partner of mine has used the Hammer products for a number of years and had many good things to say about them.

I have been taking two capsules in the morning after eating breakfast and two more capsules at lunch. During the work week, my workouts are in the early evening and during the weekend, they are in the morning. I practice the three hour rule before running, trying to stay away from calories before the run, especially on the weekend long runs. When running in the morning, I do not take PICs before the run, I wait to take them when I am having some post workout food.

Since I began taking the PICs (approximately two weeks ago) I have noticed that I have had to make some unexpected/unwanted bathroom stops during many of my runs. Distance and exertion do not seem to play a role in when I need to make a "pit stop". It also seems like I have more gas than normal.

Before I began to take PICs, I used to use a daily multivitamin produced by Nature Made and did not have these issues. Could the PICs be causing these unwanted stomach/GI issues and mid run bathroom stops?

Race day is in two months, so I hope to get these issues figured out before then. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
d_opperman

Re: PIC and stomach/GI issues

Postby levi-hoch » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:31 pm

Hello, d_opperman,

It's unlikely that the Premium Insurance Caps are contributing to your GI issues. I've never heard that complaint before and the fact that you're not taking them before your workouts makes me think there is something else that's causing it. What are you using as an energy fuel while running and how much? I would be inclined to think it had something to do with your fuel rather than the Premium Insurance Caps. This article [nurl=]http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/caloric-intake-proper-amounts-during-endurance-exercise.1275.html?sect=advanced-knowledge-section[/nurl] explains proper caloric intake during exercise.

Please let me know what you are using as your energy fuel so I can be of further assistance to you. It is highly unlikely that Premium Insurance Caps have anything to do with the GI issues you've been having.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Postby sfitzner » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:00 am

I had similar issue when taking PICs along with some bad heartburn. When I stopped taking them, the problems were gone in a few days. For me I believe it is the B complex in PIC's. I've had the same issues when taking B-complex supplements or other multi-vitamins that had a good amount of B-complex.

Stop taking them for a week and you'll know if the PIC are and issue.

scott
sfitzner

Postby d_opperman » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:13 am

Levi-

Thanks for the response to my post.

When I run in the mornings, I usually do not eat anything before running. If I do, I wait three hours before starting the workout. For runs in the afternoons/evenings, I usually eat lunch around 1 and then run right after work (between 5-6PM). So, there is not much in the stomach at those times.

When drinking during workouts, I have usually been using water only. I have been doing some riding on the trainer as well and for rides over an hour, I will have some water along with a sports drink of some type (Accelerade, HEED, water with endurolytes fizz).

I have cut back my PIC usage to one capsule per day, taken in the morning after breakfast. I planned to do that for a week, then increase to two capsules for a week, then three a week until I get up to four capsules a day. I figured this would give my system some more time to gradually get used to the PICs.

I have been trying to discern if there was something I was eating during the day that was causing some stomach/GI issues. Not sure if I have developed some lactose intolerance issues? Still working on getting it figured out.

Any help or suggestions you can pass my way would be great.

Thank You-
Derek
d_opperman

Postby levi-hoch » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:59 am

Dear Derek,

The only thing I would suggest is avoiding any energy fuels containing simple sugars as they don't provide the quality of energy that our maltodextrin based products do, having a "flash and crash" affect where you'll experience a blood sugar spike followed by a rapid blood sugar crash. Maltodextrin provides quick energy that's also long lasting and has a more gradual taper, not resulting in a blood sugar crash as you'd experience from simple sugar fuels. Maltodextrin also allows for a higher concentration of calories to be digested and converted to energy than simple sugars which, if mixed too strong can overwhelm your digestion and upset your stomach. The article, The Top 10 - The Biggest Mistakes Endurance Athletes Make http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/the-top-10-the-biggest-mistakes-endurance-athletes-make.1273.html explains more on why complex carbohydrates (maltodextrin) is superior to simple sugars.

It's especially critical that you don't consume simple sugars and complex carbohydrates together or in close proximity as the combination can create stomach/GI distress as they have different rates of osmolality. This is explained further in the article Simple Sugars and Complex Carbohydrates - An Incompatible Combination http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/simple-sugars-and-complex-carbohydrates-an-incompatible-combination.2890.html?sect=advanced-knowledge-section

One of the best defenses against stomach or GI distress is to use the right fuel for the job. Hammer Gel or HEED are perfect choices for shorter duration efforts (2-3 hours or less) and our endurance fuels Perpetuem or Sustained would be great on the longer distances. All Hammer Nutrition fuels use maltodextrin and never any simple sugars so you can be sure that they will be easy on your stomach if used appropriately. Always remember that less is best and it's important to use the least amount of calories necessary to prevent energy loss vs. using the most possible without upsetting your stomach.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Return to Endurance Forum