Forum

Race Day Boost for longer events

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Race Day Boost for longer events

Postby mck414 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:32 am

I'm planning on giving RDB a try for an upcoming 70.3 triathlon. In reading through the forums and product documentation I see this product is intended for shorter duration races (1-2 hours), but there could be benefits to longer races as well.

Has anyone used successfully or unsuccessfully used RDB for longer events? I'm looking to hit 4:45-ish.

For reference my fueling plan is to use a Perpetuem and HEED on the bike and Hammer Gels on the run (Espresso for the caffine!!) and hydrating with whaever is offered on course.
mck414

Re: Race Day Boost for longer events

Postby steve-born » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:51 pm

Hello mck414 (Name please! I'd much prefer to call you by your first name!) -

Although the majority of the testing on Race Day Boost was done with athletes doing 40km cycling time trials (which takes an hour or less), that doesn't mean that sodium phosphate - the primary component in Race Day Boost - doesn't have applications for longer-duration events... it most definitely does! Here's why:

Let's say that the beneficial effects of sodium phosphate last only for a couple of hours. Would not having those benefits in the first couple hours of race positively influence the latter part of your race? I can't help but think so! In other words, yes, the effects of the loading dose you did will not last the entire duration of a 70.3 race. However, if you've positively affected your body's performance during the first couple of hours of your race, it seems completely logical that the latter half of your race will benefit as well. Plus, if you're using Perpetuem as you primary-to-sole bike fuel, you'll be replenishing your body with a small donation of sodium phosphate, augmenting the depleting amounts of the sodium phosphate that you stored via the loading dose of Race Day Boost... you'll be extending the benefits of sodium phosphate! Ditto, although to a significantly less degree, if you use Perpetuem Solids occasionally during the run portion of the race.

So yes, I highly recommend Race Day Boost for you. Even though you're doing a longer-duration event (as compared to what the test subjects in the studies did), I have no doubt that you will experience noticeably positive benefits.

On a different subject, if I may, I'd suggest that you carry some Endurolytes with you. That way you don't have to rely on whatever is being offered at the aid stations to fulfill your hydration and electrolyte needs... chances are it may be a sugar-filled sports drink that may create some very distinct stomach issues that you definitely want to avoid. (see my article "Simple Sugars and Complex Carbohydrates - An Incompatible Combination at http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/simple-sugars-and-complex-carbohydrates-an-incompatible-combination.2890.html). Instead, use Hammer Gel and perhaps some Perpetuem Solids for your calorie source, Endurolytes for your electrolyte source, and plain water to fulfill hydration needs. In doing so you minimize-to-negate the potential for stomach-related (or performance-ruining) issues to occur.

I hope you will find this information helpful.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re: Race Day Boost for longer events

Postby steve-born » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:12 pm

Here's some additional information about Race Day Boost...

Our muscles rely on three different energy systems, or metabolic pathways, to produce ATP, the molecule directly responsible for muscle function. We have the ATP-CP system, the lactic acid system, and the oxygen, or aerobic, system. Every muscle fiber has all three of these systems available, utilizing each depending on the length and intensity of exercise.

The first energy system is the ATP-CP (adenosine triphosphate and creatine phosphate) system. ATP is the immediate source of energy for muscle contraction, breaking down to ADP (adenosine diphosphate) as it releases the energy to fire a muscle fiber contraction. This system releases energy very rapidly, but also depletes very rapidly, in just a few seconds of continued effort. It is the energy source used in brief, intense activities such as weightlifting or sprinting. Creatine phosphate, another high-energy compound naturally occurring in all muscle cells, also breaks down, releasing energy as it loses its phosphate group, but unlike ATP, it does not cause muscle contraction. Instead, the phosphate goes to an ADP, converting it back into ATP, thus replenishing the system. The sodium tribasic phosphate (STP) in Race Day Boost supplies phosphate groups used in the re-synthesis of CP and ATP, thus improving the performance of this short-term energy system.

The second energy system is the lactic acid system. A key feature of this system is its relationship with blood pH. Normal blood maintains a slightly alkaline pH of 7.3 to 7.4, optimal for the enzymes that produce energy via the lactic acid energy system. This system uses carbohydrates as fuel, primarily in the form of glycogen stored in the muscles. Our bodies break down muscle glycogen (a process known as glycogenolysis) into glucose, which then undergoes further breakdown via glycolysis. Glycolysis converts sugar to pyruvic acid, releasing energy and creating ATP. Glycolysis occurs with or without the presence of oxygen. At rest, glycolysis occurs at a slower rate sustained by the oxygen you inhale (aerobic glycolysis). As you begin to exercise, the rate of aerobic glycolysis increases. As intensity of exercise increases, aerobic glycolysis becomes inadequate to support energy production and the system switches to anaerobic glycolysis. Through a series of chemical reactions in muscle cells, the formation of lactic acid allows anaerobic glycolysis to continue. However, excess lactic acid accumulates during high intensity efforts, increasing the hydrogen ion concentration within the muscle cells and disrupting the ideal alkaline blood pH. This results in that all-too-familiar "burn" we all hate. Race Day Boost's phosphate salt buffers blood acidity and helps maintain this acid-alkaline balance by neutralizing excess hydrogen ions within the muscle cell. Effectively buffering excess lactic acid allows the lactic acid system to provide energy for a longer time.

Phosphates also aid in improving the third energy system in the body, the oxygen (aerobic) energy system. This system uses primarily carbohydrates and fats to produce ATP, but after 90-120 minutes of sustained exercise, this system starts to chew on protein, with about 5 - 15% of the energy coming from amino acids. The oxygen system can't produce ATP as rapidly as the other two systems, but it does produce greater quantities of ATP. It serves as the primary energy system of aerobic, or "conversational level," athletics. In other words, if you're breathing easily enough that you can talk while you're running or cycling, you're still in the aerobic mode. Even though it seems that you're always going anaerobic in a race, or at least going back and forth between all the energy systems, once you settle into a rhythm during the race, your body relies mostly on the oxygen energy system. Phosphates form part of a compound found in red blood cells known as 2,3 diphosphoglycerate (2,3-DPG). This molecule helps release oxygen from hemoglobin into the muscle cells. An increase in 2,3-DPG will improve the availability of oxygen to working muscles for the process of creating ATP. The dose of sodium tribasic phosphate used in Race Day Boost exactly matches the dose used in all studies done with this nutrient, including one that showed an 8% improvement in performance in a 40k time-trial. Sodium tribasic phosphate improves all of the body's three energy systems, making it a superb ergogenic aid.

In addition, each serving of Race Day Boost (powder) contains 500 mg of glutamine. A full dose of four servings per day (2000 mg glutamine) enhances muscle and liver glycogen storage, a definite bonus while you’re tapering for your upcoming race. Having maximal amounts of glycogen available come race day provides a huge advantage simply because you’ll be starting your race with a greater volume (more minutes) of readily available fuel, the first your body will use when the race begins. The bottom line is that maximizing glycogen stores is an important component of enhanced athletic performance and glutamine plays a vital role in glycogen synthesis.
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum