Forum

CLA?

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

CLA?

Postby ShawnInPaso » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:21 am

I've searched around a bit but cannot find if any of Hammer products contain conjugated linoleic acid (CLA)? Also, I don't know if linoleic acid is the same as conjugated linoleic acid.

It seems from my brief read that CLA could be quite beneficial to one's overall health and since I already use Hammer products it would be nice to know a product exist with CLA.

Thanks in advance,

Shawn
ShawnInPaso

Re: CLA?

Postby steve-born » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:38 pm

Hello Shawn -

Thank you for your post... good questions! The answer to your first question is easy - none of the Hammer Nutrition products contain Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) and we don't have a stand-alone CLA product (partly because there are already a ton of them out there).

The answer to your second question, as well as your comment, requires a little more in-depth information.

CLA in not actual linoleic acid (an essential fatty acid that the body needs
for optimum health), but rather is a mixture of different isomers of
linoleic acid. Linoleic acid is a source of 1 of 2 essential fatty acids (alpha linolenic acid being the other), but there is no evidence that CLA is required in the human diet. CLA occurs in foods; however, it would be very difficult to get enough for a noticeable effect for its purported benefits for weight loss, helping prevent diabetes, helping to prevent certain types of cancer, and more. Therefore, supplements are the only practical way to get enough CLA.

With that said, I'll offer a few of my personal thoughts, with the understanding that others may not agree entirely with them:

1) I think that the most important thing we can do is to reduce our intake of Omega 6 fatty acids, especially those that come from saturated fat sources, and make sure that we're consuming more Omega 3 fatty acids. Here's just a portion of the reason why:

There are two essential fatty acids (EFA) that we need for life itself – the Omega 3 fatty acids and Omega 6 fatty acids. Our bodies cannot make either of them so it’s necessary that we obtain them from dietary sources. However, while most of us consume an overabundance of Omega 6’s, our Omega 3 intake is woefully lacking. In fact, while research points to a 1:3 Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio as ideal, most people’s diets show a 1:20 ratio, which is obviously very much out of balance.

In my opinion, cutting back the "bad" fats (saturated fats, trans fatty acids) and increasing our intake of "good" fats (Omega 3's, such as those found in fish and fish oil supplements) is the first step we need to take - when it comes to fats, anyway - to optimize health.

2) I personally believe that CLA has benefits; I personally use it during the off season for helping with weight loss. There are a ton of articles you can view online regarding CLA's potential benefits... here's a link that will give you more than sufficient articles and information:

http://www.lef.org/search/?q=conjugated%20linoleic%20acid&c=Magazine&s=latest

3) If you choose to use a CLA product, the suggested dose is 3 grams per day. Many (most?) products available use the Tonalin brand of CLA (http://tonalin.com/about.htm), which is a standardized extract (anywhere from 78% - 85%) from safflower seed oil. Products that use the Tonalin brand of CLA - of which there are many, would be preferable, in my opinion.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby ShawnInPaso » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:46 pm

Steve,

Thanks you very much for such a complete response to my question, I am most grateful for your time to provide the details.

I could search the web all day and not find such a concise summary of the issues as you have provided.

Shawn
ShawnInPaso

Postby steve-born » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Hello Shawn -

You're very welcome for the information... glad to help. I'm thankful for you letting me know that you appreciated getting lots of detailed information. I say that because sometimes I get poked fun at for how long my replies to emails and posts can be. That really doesn't bother me at all because I stand firm in my belief that it's better to provide as much useful information as possible (lengthy as it may be) instead of an insufficient amount of information.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum