Forum

EStim Question

EStim Question

Postby dulles29 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi

I have been periodizing my Compex eStim workouts by doing a month of resistence strength/10 min. endurance in the same session. I then do a month of Max Strength/Endurance on my Globus. Obviously, I have both Compex and Globus units. These workouts are for winter training off season, although I live in the Carolinas and we get out very often here.

Which program should be done first optimally?? Or is this another example of changing things up regularly by rotating the order every few weeks to max the benefits?

I have been just using Globus Ultra Endurance in summer season when I'm training longer volumes and my legs can't tolerate it because of fatigue.

Thanks for any input.

Steve
dulles29

Re: EStim Question

Postby steve-born » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:03 am

Hello Steve -

I consulted with our NEMS expert, Jim Bruskewitz, and here's what he wrote to me:

"A classic strength-building progression starts with the Type IIb fast twitch muscle fibers (Max Strength), and then moves to the TYpe IIa fast twitch muscle fibers (Resistance Program). This order is not written in stone by any means. If you're alternating back and forth between these two programs, which is fine, then the order has little significance. You're right, the change is important. Also, I'd be tempted to extend the length of the Endurance program beyond 10 minutes. Some of the adaptations, like increasing the number and size of mitochondria, can only be accomplished by running the program for longer periods of time."

"If your legs can't tolerate the fatigue because you are already spending long periods of time training, then the slow twitch muscle fibers stimulated by both the training and the Endurance program could be overworked. You instead may want to flip flop the emphasis of the training at this time with the training you do in the winter months. By that I mean that you emphasize the fast twitch training while visiting slow twitch training in the winter, then emphasize the endurance training while still visiting the strength training in the summer."

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby dulles29 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:17 pm

Steve/Jim

Thanks for your input...........A few more questions.

If using Endurance right after Strength during off season, what is the min. amount of time needed to achieve base line results you referred to??

As we move towards warmer weather/more outside volume, and I switch over to more endurance/less strength eStim w/o's, as per your suggestion, is a full Endurance program followed by a Strength program appropriate??

Once in season, during higher volumes of training, what is the minimum number of eStim workouts needed to maintain??

Pad Placement--I have been doing eStim for a decade and have been around and around on this subject with Kinley, Keister and others. Never been quite sure but I find that if I put the pads to grab both vastis lateralis and rectus femoris, somewhat rotated to the lateral side, my IT Band is sore the next day. If I rotate the pad position more towards rectus fem, I don't think i'm hitting lateralis much. Any suggestions??

In addition to my eStim--quad only--workouts, I train legs at the gym doing lunges, single leg presses, romanian dead lifts, single leg extensions, single leg curls, and single leg calf raises, adductor, abductor, etc.
During winter I do these 2 to 3 times per 7-10 days and in summer try to do once per week, along with Globus Ultra Endurance workout once per week.

I know Globus is a touchy subject but Giovanni had told me that Ultra Endurance is a frequency that combines some strength with endurance at same time. He suggested that this is the right program to maintain during summer.

Sorry for the length of this but I'm the curious kind and want to tap into your expertise.

Thanks again.
Steve
dulles29

Postby steve-born » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:56 pm

Hello Steve -

I have once again asked our EMS expert, Jim Bruskewitz, for his assistance in answering your questions. Here's what he wrote in reply to the questions you asked on your latest post...

If using the program right after doing a Strength program, 30 minutes is the amount of time for the fatty acid energy delivery cycle to kick in. You want this to occur along with the other adaptations that you look for. Balancing this with the amount of training you can absorb should direct the length of the Endurance program. If you can tolerate the full Endurance program, go for it. If you need to adjust the stimulation level that controls the degree of contraction to adjust the training load, that will work as long as the reduction in stimulation isn't dramatic. You'll want to maintain a vigorous contraction. You can still gain adaptations without going for the threshold of what is tolerable. Once in the season, you can reduce the number of sessions per week to 2 times. One time per week is not nearly as beneficial.

Regarding your pad placement, just make sure the pad is on the vastus lateralis. This should have minimal effect on your IT band. The pad placement for the IT band is completely lateral, not like the placement for the quadriceps. Having said this, can you split the difference so to speak? Fooling around with pad placement is just fine. You can't hurt yourself by moving the pads around. The worst that will happen is some soreness if you overdo the levels, or you won't establish a circuit through the muscle as you intend.

I am one that enjoys weight training. I did it for 35 years and taught weight training at The University of WIsconsin - Madison. I no longer go the weight room. I can do a better job with my Compex.

--- END ---

I hope this helps answer your questions, Steve.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Electrical Muscle Stimulation