Forum

Electrolyte replacement after antibiotics?

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Electrolyte replacement after antibiotics?

Postby cclement » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:48 am

Six weeks out from the white rock marathon, I started to get a slight cold, took some Cipro antibiotics for a few days and backed off my running a bit. Monday went for a lunch run and experienced severe cramping, in multiple areas of my legs, like end of marathon painful cramping. Walked back and sent a text to my PA. That evening I could barely walk, my calves were that sore. Turns out antibiotics deplete some essential minerals in the body. Doc says it may take 7-10 days to flush out antibiotics and to slow down, that I may experience cramping for some time. Endurolytes have served me well before, but that was during races, what are the communities thoughts on taking them while not excercising? Any other thoughts or suggestions to help my recovery, I'm in a crucial build up stage and just weeks away from taper.

C
cclement

Re: Electrolyte replacement after antibiotics?

Postby steve-born » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:29 pm

Hello C -

Antibiotics, especially strong ones like Cipro, can (as you found out) can deplete the body of some of its electrolytic mineral stores. In addition, I believe that antibiotics can inhibit the optimal absorption of ingested electrolytes.

Most of the time, we get sufficient supplies of minerals from our diet and the use of Premium Insurance Caps (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... .pic1.html). Therefore, I don't think it's necessary to take Endurolytes on a daily basis if not working out. In your situation, however, I would continue to take Endurolytes, at least for a couple more weeks, to help re-establish your body's supply of these minerals.

More importantly, I would encourage you to consider using iFlora (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/iflora.if.html) on a daily basis (1 capsule twice daily) for at least two weeks, perhaps even longer (I take the product daily just to maintain optimal GI tract health). Prescription antibiotics are non-selective in that they kill both the "bad" bacteria and the "good" bacteria. After a course of antibiotics your GI tract basically has little-to-nothing left in terms of healthy bacteria.

That's why it's important to re-establish the colonization of healthy bacteria in the gut, and maintain it in favor of "the good guys." I have yet to find a more potent, more comprehensive (in terms of strains of healthy bacteria) product than iFlora. That's why, even though it's not an "official" Hammer Nutrition product (Sedona Labs makes it), we carry it in our product line.

I think the use of that product will provide tangible improvements for you.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby cclement » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:53 pm

I'm 5 8 , 165, how many endurolytes should I take to replenish? I know what I take during workouts or races but this is different.
cclement

Postby steve-born » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:38 pm

C -

Our general recommendations, for use during exercise under normal conditions, is 1 capsule for every 50-60 lbs of body weight per hour. For your situation, assuming you are not training, there really isn't any specific protocol. That said - and again, this is assuming you're not training - you might want to try taking 2 capsules in the morning and 2 at lunch.

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum