Forum

Endurolytes - How much is enough?

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Endurolytes - How much is enough?

Postby brady » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:49 pm

I've had very little issues with cramping since taking Endurolytes on a regular basis. They would usually come on after a particularly hard effort. When that happens now, I immediately take a capsule or two and I'm fine.

I have begun to take two per hour in most of my events as well as one AF Cap. However, since taking two Endurolytes/hour, I usually end up coated in a fine dusting of 'salt' after my rides. Am I taking too much or should I try for averaging 1.5 per hour? Otherwise, everything is fine with my current dosage.
brady

Re: Endurolytes - How much is enough?

Postby steve-born » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:08 am

Hello Brady -

If you're not already doing so, I would encourage you to take Endurolytes 15+ minutes prior to your workout or race... think of this as a "pre-emptive strike" dose, meaning that you'll have those minerals in your system prior to you truly needing them.

As sweat evaporates, some salt stains on skin and clothing are to be expected. For some people, however, they look like Lot's wife (Biblical reference) in that they are COVERED in salt. This is the body excreting its excess amounts of sodium, be it from the diet (the usual culprit) or from consuming to much salt during the event.

In my opinion, a "fine dusting of salt" isn't problematic. If it was a noticeably higherthicker amount, then that's your body's way of saying that you're either consuming too much salt in your diet and/or are taking too much sodium in during exercise.

The real symptoms of excess sodium (salt) is when you exhibit edema-like symptoms, in the form of puffiness in your fingers, hands, wrists, feet, ankles, and even on the cheeks of your face.

Personally, I think that your current dosing is fine.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum