Forum

Sports drinks and tooth decay

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Sports drinks and tooth decay

Postby sjalex » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:49 pm

I have read about most sports drinks being harmful for your teeth due to the amount of acid (e.g. citric, malic) in their ingredients. http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2011/10/sukkie-sports-drink/

I use Hammer Perpetuem and Endyrolytes which don't appear to have any acids listed. Is this the case? If so I'm surprised this isn't touted as a feature of the products a la sukkie sports drinks.
sjalex

Re: Sports drinks and tooth decay

Postby steve-born » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:21 am

Hello sjalex -

While citric acid, malic acid, succinic acid, and a couple others, are important components in the Krebs Cycle of energy production, when you expose your teeth to them consistently, as you do when drinking citric acid-containing sports drinks, it tends to wear away at the enamel.

Endurolytes isn't a sports drink but rather an electrolyte replenishment product so we didn't feel the need to tout it not having citric acid in there. Perpetuem, while being a sports drink, is something we consider to be more of a long distance fuel. And since it has so many other benefits that we discuss about it, not having citric acid being part of the formula wasn't really near the top of the list.

Now HEED is what we consider the typical sports drink (a carbohydrate only drink), and we do tout it for not containing citric acid. Perhaps we haven't done it as prominently as we should, but we have promoted this particular product as being citric acid free.

It's important to mention that all of the above-listed acids are very important; in fact, I remember a pre-workout drink (not available any more) that had a healthy amount of citric acid, malic acid, succinic acid, and a couple others in there. I thought this was a really good product because it gave the body some key components to help produce energy as efficiently as possible prior to exercise. (Hmmm... maybe that will be my next product design!)

The problem is when you continually expose the enamel of the teeth to these acids, as you do when you're swigging a sports drink regularly throughout your workouts and races.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum