Forum

Fueling for Dirtbike Enduro

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Fueling for Dirtbike Enduro

Postby CrashDodson » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:06 pm

I ride motorcycle (dirtbike) enduros. These consists of 50+ miles of riding in extreme conditions. Im not certain how many calories are burned during the 4 hours of riding but I would expect it to be similar to 4 hours of running.

I am trying to decide on a system for fueling during these enduros. We are only able to consume fuel at the checkpoints. During a 4 hour race I may have 6-7 checkpoints. I wear a camel back with just water.

I am trying to determine which fueling method to use while racing. I am thinking either the hammer gel or Perpetuem in the flasks. I have used gel before in the packets and when I go down on the bike they tend to explode in my pants pockets/back pack.

I am just unsure if the activity of dirtbike racing for 4-4.5 hours would be better for Perpetuem or just hammer gel.

Any tips would be appreciated.
CrashDodson

Re: Fueling for Dirtbike Enduro

Postby steve-born » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Hello Crash -

Thanks for your post. Don't worry about how many calories you're burning... while that is certainly interesting info to know, it has little-to-nothing to do with what your body can comfortably accept from you. In general, and this will of course vary with the size of the athlete, the average size human body (around 160-165 lbs) can return to the energy cycle about 4.0 - 4.7 calories per minute, or roughly 240-280 calories an hour. Obviously, if you're lighter than that you won't need that many calories and if you're a larger athlete you may be able to bump that up to around 300 or so without any issues.

If your races were in the 1-3 range you could do the whole thing on just Hammer Gel, a "carbohydrate only" fuel. However, since they're in the 4-hour range you're going to need a little protein along with the carbs, and that's where Perpetuem comes in and why I think it will be a more appropriate fuel to use.

That said, you can still use Hammer Gel if you want; just make sure that the majority of your fueling is fulfilled from Perpetuem (and I do like the concentrated, in-the-flask method). In other words, you could do 3 hours on Perpetuem and 1 hour on Hammer Gel, if desired, and you'd have no problem whatsoever. Ditto if you went with Perpetuem from beginning to end.

Also, if at all possible, try to get some Endurolytes in on an hourly basis. If handling capsules at the checkpoints is too much of a hassle and/or time consuming, you can certainly use Endurolytes Fizz in your Camelback and accomplish the same thing (fulfilling electrolyte requirements).

I hope this info is helpful to you but if you need more clarification or have additional questions please let me know.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby CrashDodson » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:36 pm

Thanks for your response. I weigh 190 lbs...so I would assume I would be looking at the 2 scoops of perpetuem an hour. The conditions can be very hot and we have no support crew. I like the idea of only having to worry about one source of energy. Is it safe to mix perpetuem and have it last for 4-4.5 hours? Or should I use perpetuem the first few hours and then switch to the gel?
CrashDodson

Postby steve-born » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:21 am

Hello Crash -

I weigh more than you do and, believe it or not, I am finding that 1.5 scoops of Perpetuem an hour works quite well for me. This particular fuel is so concentrated - what with its complex carbs, soy protein, and healthy fats (I call it a "meal in a bottle") - that we are finding an awful lot of people are able to maintain optimal energy levels using less Perpetuem than they would with other products. So consider giving 1.5 scoops/hour a try and see if it doesn't work for you. Remember, you can always increase your calorie intake if necessary.

Another possibility, one that will give you a few more calories, is to make a 5-scoop bottle. This will give you 675 calories, or 225 per hour over the course of 3 hours. Again, this may not seem sufficient for a 190-lb athlete but, as mentioned earlier, we are hearing from more and more athletes that find they can use less Perpetuem with no issues at all, simply because it's such a concentrated fuel.

The palatability and stability of the protein component in Perpetuem is the one thing you have to be concerned about in hot weather conditions. On a normal-to-slightly-warm weather day I can easily make a bottle of Perpetuem last 4+ hours. The caffe latte flavor is the one that I prefer to use because if it gets warm it still tastes good (it's a warm latte... what's not to like about that?). Seriously though, the "shelf life" of the protein component is really dependent on the weather conditions. If the mixture smells sour then it's no longer drinkable.

What that in mind, if it's a hot-to-very hot day you may not get a full four hours out of Perpetuem so preparing and freezing a 3-hour bottle or flask(s) ahead of time is not a bad idea to help prolong the shelf life. If you're able to freeze the mixture ahead of time you'll have 3 hours of Perpetuem ready to fulfill your fueling needs and it'll still be at least somewhat cool-to-cold. Then, for that last 1 - 1.5 hours you can certainly use Hammer Gel. No problem there.

I hope you will find this information helpful.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby CrashDodson » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:52 am

Thank you for your time. I am going to go with your recommendation with a 5 scoop flask of perpetuem and a flask of Hammer Gel/water.

What will the consistency of the the perpetuem at 5 scoops to the flask be? Will it be liquid enough for the Hard shell flask or do I need to go with the soft one?
CrashDodson

Postby steve-born » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:23 am

I think that if 5 scoops will be used, the Gel-Bot Soft Flask - http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... .gbsf.html - might make things easier in terms of consistency and consumption.
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby CrashDodson » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:42 am

Last question...

I just placed my order. What is the best way to mix the perpetuem and then get it into the soft flask?

Thanks for your help. I look forwarding to not Bonking during the last 10 miles of the enduro's like I usually do.
CrashDodson

Postby steve-born » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:21 pm

I think the easiest way would be to use a regular water bottle. Start with a small amount of water in the bottle, add some scoops of Perpetuem, then shake vigorously. Remember, the combination of the powder + water is going to add to the total volume of the mixture, and you only have 8 ounces of room in the soft flask. So start with only about 4 ounces of water in your water bottle and add a little more water only if necessary. Transferring it into the soft flask straight from the water bottle nozzle will be super easy.

I looked at the Gel Bot and the opening is to small to pour the powder into it, unless you use a funnel. Mixing Perpetuem in the soft flask would be kind of a pain, at least to me, because of the soft texture of the flask... something tells me that would make mixing Perpetuem in a concentrated form a bit more difficult as compared to using a water bottle and transferring it into the soft flask.
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum