Forum

Endurolytes in pre-race hydration?

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Endurolytes in pre-race hydration?

Postby rbrnut » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:23 pm

I checked through the posts/articles and didn't see a definitive reference to my question. The recommended pre-race hydration is around 10-12 oz/hr up to 30 minutes prior to the event (assuming a 90+ min event). Since Endurolytes Fizz does not contain any noticeable caloric content, I am assuming that it's safe to add them as part of my pre-race water I consume? Thanks.

Rob
rbrnut

Re: Endurolytes in pre-race hydration?

Postby steve-born » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:34 am

Hello Rob -

In the Hydration article in The Endurance Athlete's Guide to Success I (and also on its own at http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... w.299.html), I write the following:

For satisfying hydration requirements prior to a workout or race, there have been a number of recommendations presented over the years. These are the two that we believe to be the most sensible, the ones that will satisfy hydration needs without putting you at the risk for overhydration:

*** One liter of fluid (about 34 ounces) in the two hours prior to the start (about 17 ounces/500 milliliters per hour), ceasing consumption about 20-30 minutes before you begin the workout or race.

***10-12 ounces (approx 295-355 milliliters) of fluid each hour up to 30 minutes prior to the start (24-30 ounces total fluid intake). Keep in mind that even though these are our recommendations, you need to determine what works best for your system and the particular logistics of the race or training session ahead.

Keep in mind that even though these are our recommendations, you need to determine what works best for your system and the particular logistics of the race or training session ahead.

--- END ---

Either one of those options, one of which you mention in your post, should serve you well.

Every tablet of Endurolytes Fizz contains 10 calories. Will that influence (for lack of a better word) the release of insulin and blood sugar levels? Yes, though I believe it would be minimal at best for two reasons:

1) The calorie amount is minor. Now, if you were to have a 200+ calorie bottle of HEED (or whatever) an hour or two prior to exercise it would definitely have an impact of insulin release/blood sugar elevation.

2) The glycemic index of sorbitol (the source of calories in Endurolytes Fizz) is 9 so it's definitely a low GI calorie source. As such, its impact on insulin release would be extremely minor, if at all noticeable.

Personally, I see no problem with using Endurolytes Fizz as part of your pre-exercise/event hydration plan.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum