Forum

Hammer Gel before start of event

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Hammer Gel before start of event

Postby smarkgraf » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:17 am

Hello,

This may have been asked before. I usually ride early in the mornings so do not eat 3+ hrs before. I have been using 1-2 servings of Hammer Gel before I start. Do these consumed calories count towards my refueling requirements? If I am doing an event and I need ~250 calories/hr(I weigh 180lbs), do I need to reduce the amount I consume during the ride by the amount consumed prior?

I have been using Perpetuem and Hammer Gel for my primary fuels for my weekend rides(3-4hrs) and Hammer Gel/Heed for my weekday commute/training rides(<1.5hrs).

Thanks,
Steve
smarkgraf

Re: Hammer Gel before start of event

Postby steve-born » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:30 pm

Hello Steve -

You ask an excellent question and I'm sorry to say that I don't have a precise, "science-based" answer to provide. My understanding is the some of those calories you are ingesting will be used to top off liver glycogen stores, which have been depleted during the night. Just what percentage of those calories will be utilized for that purpose is something I honestly don't know, though I would guess that it'd be roughly 75%. With that said, I do think that a portion of those calories will be used to fulfill a small percentage of your first hour's fueling requirements... if I were to hazard a guess I would say that maybe 25% - 30% of them would.

As a result, you may find that the amount of calories you need during that first hour will be a lower-than-normal amount. And that's OK because, at least from my experience, I find that I usually start that first hour on the low side in terms of calories. Plus, if I start on the low side, but find that I need more calories, that's a super easy thing to take care of... I just consume a bit more.

In fact, that's kind of my definition of what proper fueling is -- it's not "how many calories can I get away with before I get sick?" but rather, "what's the least amount of calories I need to keep my body doing what I want it to do hour after hour?" And if I err on the "not enough" side that's a much easier problem to fix than an "uh oh, I took in too much and now I'm not feeling so hot" problem.

Bottom line is that I don't think you necessarily need to decrease your calorie intake during that first hour; however, you may find that you don't need as many calories at that time, partly due to the fact that you took in some calories (via Hammer Gel) just prior to the start of your workout. And again, if you do take in a lower-than-normal amount as you go through that first hour and find that you need more, that's an easy thing to take care of... you simply consume more!

I'm not sure if I've been able to fully answer your question but I hope I've provided some useful information.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re: Hammer Gel before start of event

Postby smarkgraf » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:19 pm

Actually, you answered it very well. I have not treated as part of my requirements, but will adjust what I take in at the beginning of my ride accordingly.

Thank you for both your great products and wealth of information.

Steve
smarkgraf

Return to Endurance Forum