Forum

Been training w/ Perpeteum liquid -- can I add solids 4 race

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Been training w/ Perpeteum liquid -- can I add solids 4 race

Postby Dpumpy66 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:50 pm

Have a half ironman dustance coming up this weekend. I have been training with a multi hour bottle of Perpeteum but I am worried about spoilage for race day. And I don't want to haul a bottle for the run. Are Perpeteum Solids the same formula as powder? Am I taking a big risk trying them in race if u haven't used solids in training?
Dpumpy66

Re: Been training w/ Perpeteum liquid -- can I add solids 4

Postby wayne » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:35 am

Way to go; hope things go well on the race. I would think no problem since the Solids are made with same ingredients. Remember the Solids have a lower calorie count; so you may want to take some Gel also. Remember to take some Endurolytes also.
wayne

Re: Been training w/ Perpeteum liquid -- can I add solids 4

Postby PowerGoat » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:48 pm

Dpumpy66,

You could always put your Perpetuem powder into a water bottle w/o water in it and leave it at T2. As soon as you're done changing shoes and etc., get up, head to the water table, and fill the bottle the rest of the way with water. No spoilage!

If you really don't want to carry a water bottle, another way around that is to make a concentrated gel flask of Perpetuem the night before the race, refrigerate it overnight, and put it in a ziploc bag with ice at T2. I would mix Hammer Gel with Perpetuem instead of water. The flask holds about 6 oz. and so it will weigh less than 1/3 the weight of a water bottle. As you come into each aid station, slurp some of the gel and then get some water.

If you want to try the Perpetuem Solids--carrying them in your pockets?--that should not give you any trouble at all.
PowerGoat

Return to Endurance Forum