Forum

Fueling/recovery for overnight relay (Blue Ridge Relay)

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Fueling/recovery for overnight relay (Blue Ridge Relay)

Postby runnernc » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:01 am

I'm participating in the Blue Ridge Relay with a team of 8 other runners. I have 4 legs that are between 5 and 10 miles long. I have about 6-7 hours rest between each leg. In total I'll do about 30 miles in a little over 24 hours. I'm trying to figure out what to use for fueling and recovery during the relay (runs and rest).

I'm also currently training for a marathon and have been using Endurolytes and Perpetuem for the long runs (15-20 miles). After running I use Recoverite. Prior to each run I eat a Hammer gel.

For these I run, fuel, finish and then recover and that's it (no other training until the next day). I'm not sure what to use for the relay where the runs are relatively short (compared to my training) and there are extended breaks between them. Also, I'm not sure when to eat solid food and what to eat. I've read other posts on the forums about relays but they all seem to have shorter breaks between events (90 min - 3 hrs). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
runnernc

Re: Fueling/recovery for overnight relay (Blue Ridge Relay)

Postby steve-born » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:08 pm

Hello runnernc -

If your legs are between 5 and 10 miles long, you probably don't need very much, if anything, in regards to fuel for use during the run, especially if you consume a serving or two of Hammer Gel and some Endurolytes prior to your leg. That said, I still believe in the adage "it's better to be looking at it than looking for it," which simply means I'm going to carry a little extra fuel, just in case I need it. I hope I never do need it but I'll feel a whole lot better knowing that I've got it with me rather than thinking, "darn, I left it back at our campsite."

Now, if there's water along the course you can carry another packet of Hammer Gel and drink water to stay hydrated. Or, if you prefer, you can carry a bottle of HEED with you, which should take care of both calories and hydration. Again, you may not need additional fuel but I think you'll feel a lot better simply knowing you have it with you.

Since you'll have lots of time between your legs, you'll have plenty of time to have something to eat. Start off your recovery right away with a 2-scoop serving of Recoverite; after that you can have some high-quality solid food. Just make sure you:

1) Select and consume solid food that's of good quality (complex carbs, quality protein sources, etc). Basically, just stay away from the junk food, beer, and all the sugary stuff, tempting though they may be. Trust me, they won't help your performance on your next leg. And besides, those kinds of things will taste better after the race is over.

2) Eat until you're satisfied but no more. in other words, don't stuff yourself to the point where you end up starting your next leg with a belly full of food still going through the digestive process. Munch on some solid food over the next couple hours (think: grazing) and I think you'll feel a lot better vs. having one big meal and feeling stuffed for several hours.

I would say that if you can finish your Recoverite ASAP after your leg, and solid food consumption a good 2+ hours prior to your next leg that'll work out really well for you.

Also, when you're drinking your Recoverite or consuming your solid food meal, that would be a good time to take any of our antioxidant-based products (Race Caps Caps Supreme, Mito Caps, AO Booster, Super Antioxidant).

I hope this helps.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re: Fueling/recovery for overnight relay (Blue Ridge Relay)

Postby runnernc » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:10 am

Steve,

Thanks for the information! I think I am all set.

-Ryan
runnernc

Return to Endurance Forum