Forum

Race Day Boost Side Effects

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Race Day Boost Side Effects

Postby cbusch » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:40 pm

I am considering using Race Day Boost for my next race. The internet returns several articles indicating that sodium phosphate can cause gastrointestinal distress. I would appreciate any feedback on this.
cbusch

Re: Race Day Boost Side Effects

Postby steve-born » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:39 am

Hello cbusch -

The overwhelming majority of people who use Race Day Boost do not experience any stomach-related distress issues. For the people who do, it's usually something that is experienced the first time they've used the product. What I mean by that is that if the person is not accustomed to consuming a dose (1000 mg) of sodium phosphate, they may experience some temporary stomach distress on that first dose or two... after that, the body is more "acclimated" to this amount of sodium phosphate so stomach issues (usually a laxative effect) no longer occur. This is true with other nutrients as well (creatine monohydrate, a commonly used supplement with body builders, comes to mind)... that first dose can oftentimes cause a little stomach distress and a laxative effect, but after the body adjusts the stomach issues tend to no longer occur.

Sodium phosphate is extremely alkaline so mixing it with a small amount of juice or HEED instead of water will help "take the edge" off its alkalinity and minimize stomach distress issues.

I hope this information helps but if you need more please let me know.

Sincerely-

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re: Race Day Boost Side Effects

Postby ssrknordic » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:20 am

Church- Steve is right and that is great advice. I have used race day boost over many years for some key races. I will not use it at all for many months then use it for an important race. I have only experienced some stomach gurgling once(when I took a tablespoon dose instead of a teaspoon dose). From experience, the race-day benefits you will have are great!
ssrknordic

Return to Endurance Forum