Forum

Hammer products/Need to burp

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Hammer products/Need to burp

Postby ezclimb » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:08 pm

Wondering if anyone has this issue and a possible resolution: When I go out on long training rides, after 2-3 hours, I'm finding that regardless of the products I use (Heed, Perpetuem, Fizz, etc.), I "feel" like I need to burp, but I can't (I've never been able to burp.) Since I can't burp, I start feeling nauseous which then keeps me from consuming the right amount of calories. Does anyone here know what might be the cause? Maybe Tums or Gas-x would help to dissolve whatever seems to be causing this in my stomach? (If so, is it bad to take an antacid when training/racing?) Just looking for some suggestions. Thx.
ezclimb

Re: Hammer products/Need to burp

Postby steve-born » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:19 am

Hello ezclimb (please post your first name in future posts!) -

I personally have not had this issue before but I have worked with a few athletes who have. The first thing we want to make sure of is that you're consuming the appropriate amount of calories. In fact, if anything you might want to try to cut back on the amount of calories you're consuming on an hourly basis. It wouldn't hurt to try and it may help.

You see, the goal of fueling - at least in my opinion - is not "how many calories can I get into my system before I reach the point where I might get sick?" Instead, I believe that proper fueling is best described as "what is the least amount of calories I need to consume to get my body to do what I want it to do hour after hour after hour?" Fueling that way makes so much more sense to me, if only because a "not enough calories" problem is so easy to fix... you simply consume more. It's a lot easier problem to resolve than an "uh oh, I've over-consumed calories, now my stomach is upset, and it may take a while for things to clear out."

So take a look at how many calories you're consuming and see if going slightly less will help alleviate the nausea you're feeling but without any negative effects on your energy levels. In general we suggest a calorie intake of 240-280 calories but it needs to be understood that this is pretty much the maximum that the average-size athlete (160-165 lbs) can efficiently digest, process, and return to the energy cycle. Larger athletes may need more than that and of course lighter weight athletes will undoubtedly need less. That 240-280 amount is just a guideline, however, so start with that and tweak it a bit to see - perhaps going lower than that amount (assuming you're around the average-sized athlete) - and see if that doesn't work.

Using Tums doesn't present any issues in my mind, mainly because products like that are just calcium carbonate, which is effective for nausea (though I can't say with 100% conviction that it will help you to burp). Gas-X contains simethicone and is, as the name would suggest, more of a anti-gas/bloating remedy. I don't know of any issues associated with simethicone but I'm not sure it would apply to you, though it may be worth a try. Alka-Seltzer Gold is a product you may want to consider trying. This particular form of Alka-Seltzer is a combination of sodium bicarbonate, potassium bicarbonate, and anhydrous citric acid, all of which are indicated for the relief of heartburn, acid indigestion, and sour stomach. Unlike the other forms of alka seltzer, this particular one does not contain aspirin, or any other pain reliever, which you probably don't need and which may exacerbate the problem.

Anyway, those are my suggestions and I hope that you will find them helpful.

Sincerely-

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby ezclimb » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:44 am

Steve- Ed Shapiro here. Wow- I haven't had a primer like that in years! I'm dialed on the intake level of calories and e-caps. Just having this occurrence lately that I can't seem to get past. But..... I'm going to try and reduce my calorie intake just a hair to see if this makes a difference. I did consume (I'll admit) a honey Stinger waffle during the 3rd hour of my 6 hour ride last weekend and that may have been what set it off.
Thx,
Ed (ezclimb)
ezclimb

Postby zagbag » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:33 pm

I've been attacked by the burp monster before! A few things to consider that I've noticed....If Perpetuem isn't mixed strong enough it gets foamy (bubbles/gas). If you are using a typical 'bike' bottle you squirt or add air to the mix as it hits your mouth; more air swallowed with the liquid. You might try a bottle with the nipple style top that requires a bite and squirt; less air ingested. You might try practicing your burbs so you can get one out when needed! I'm an ultrarunner so the problem is exacerbated by the bouncing around while running. Small sips more frequently helps too. Good luck, Steven in Austin TX
zagbag

Return to Endurance Forum