Forum

Clarification on using Endurolytes

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Clarification on using Endurolytes

Postby Doug » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:13 am

As I've read the information on electrolytes, one thing that isn't fully clear to me is the frequency for taking the Endurolyte capsules. For example, if the target is 4 capsules per hour, do I take 4 every 60 minutes, 2 every 30 minutes, or 1 every 15 minutes?

Also, if you begin to feel a twinge from cramps, does taking extra Endurolytes immediately help and how many should be taken?

Thanks,
Doug
Doug

Re: Clarification on using Endurolytes

Postby steve-born » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:53 pm

Hello Doug -

Thank you for your post and the excellent questions you've asked. First, just as an FYI, our general dosage suggestion for Endurolytes, on a per-hour basis, is 1 capsule (or 1/2 tablet of Endurolytes Fizz) per 50-60 lbs of body weight. This suggestion, while being a good starting point, is not a "set in stone" recommendation. The reason is because there are many variables that need to be taken into account when answering the question, "how many Endurolytes do I need to take?" These variables include:

1) Your body size/weight
2) Your fitness level
3) Your biological predisposition (meaning that some athletes have unusually high sweat rates, among other things, which may require a higher-than-normal intake of electrolytes)
4) The weather/temperature conditions
5) How well or poorly you're acclimated to the weather/temperatures

Now, to answer your questions...

In theory it would arguably be most ideal to take Endurolytes every 15-20 minutes... that way you have a "steady stream" on electrolytes coming into your system. However, at least to me, that's too much of a hassle and it kind of takes away from the pleasure of riding my bike... all I'm doing, it seems, is taking pills on a very regimented schedule. Personally, I take all of mine at the top of the hour... I find that takes care of things quite nicely and allows me to enjoy my workout more because I'm not constantly thinking, "OK, another 15 minutes has gone by. Time for more Endurolytes."

So there really isn't a right or wrong way to take the product; it's really personal preference. I've worked with many triathletes, for example, who set the timer on their bike computer or heart rate monitor to remind them to take Endurolytes every 15-20 minutes. They have no problem with this protocol; in fact, the majority of them find it to be ideal for them. Conversely, there are a whole lot of athletes like me who simply take their dose at the top of every hour and find that this works perfectly. So do some experimentation to see what works best for you, knowing that there's really no wrong way to take the product, given the two above-mentioned choices.

As your question, "Also, if you begin to feel a twinge from cramps, does taking extra Endurolytes immediately help and how many should be taken?" the answer is a resounding "YES!" If you feel a twinge of a cramp coming on, or if you feel your pedal cadence (or running gait, if you're running) isn't smooth and rhythmic, those are the subtle signs that your body is giving you, basically saying to you, "I need more electrolytes!"

If/when that happens by all means take another dose (in your case, 4 capsules) right away. Doing so should eliminate the problem before it becomes a serious issue. Speaking of "a serious issue," I have personally witnessed cyclists I've ridden with who, for whatever reason, started cramping so badly that they were basically "locked up" and unable to turn the pedals. When that happened (and hopefully it never happens to you or any of us... it really sucks), I actually told them to open up a few capsules and empty the contents in their mouth, then chase it with water... kind of "mainlining" the product so to speak. Within just a few minutes, the cramping subsided and they were able to get back on their bike and resume the ride.

I hope this helps answer your questions, Doug, but if you need more clarification, or have additional questions, please let me know.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum