The Forum for Endurance Athletes

raw honey

Postby rebajojo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:08 pm

is local raw honey good for you? and how could it be used
rebajojo

Re: raw honey

Postby steve-born » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:49 pm

Hello rebajojo -

There are certainly worse sweeteners that you can put in your body, and honey does contain some beneficial nutrients. Here's some info I found regarding that:

Raw Honey - An Anti-Bacterial, Anti-Viral, Anti-Fungal Substance

The health benefits of honey—like all foods—depend on the quality of the honey. But in this case, the situation is even more extreme, because the pollen that collects on the bees' legs as they move from plant to plant is only as healthful and as diverse as those plants. In addition, the processing of honey often removes many of the phytonutrients found in raw honey as it exists in the hive. Raw honey, for example, contains small amounts of the same resins found in propolis. Propolis, sometimes called "bee glue," is actually a complex mixture of resins and other substances that honeybees use to seal the hive and make it safe from bacteria and other micro-organisms. Honeybees make propolis by combining plant resins with their own secretions. However, substances like road tar have also been found in propolis. Bee keepers sometimes use special screens around the inside of the hive boxes to trap propolis, since bees will spread this substance around the honeycomb and seal cracks with the anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal resins. The resins found in propolis only represent a small part of the phytonutrients found in propolis and honey, however. Other phytonutrients found both in honey and propolis have been shown to posssess cancer-preventing and anti-tumor properties. These substances include caffeic acid methyl caffeate, phenylethyl caffeate, and phenylethyl dimethylcaffeate. Researchers have discovered that these substances prevent colon cancer in animals by shutting down activity of two enzymes, phosphatidylinositol-specific phospholipase C and lipoxygenase. When raw honey is extensively processed and heated, the benefits of these phytonutrients are largely eliminated.

Compared to maltodextrin, however, we do not believe honey (raw or otherwise) to be an ideal choice when it comes to fueling during exercise. Dr. Bill Misner explains why in the article "Alternatives : Does Honey or Brown Rice Syrup Make An Effective Energy Gel?" from Endurance News #44 (http://www.hammernutrition.com/download ... html#honey)

Used judiciously and sparingly? Yes, I think that the consumption of raw, unprocessed honey is fine. However, I do not recommend its use as an energy source during exercise.

I hope you will find this information interesting and useful.

Sincerely-

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum