Forum

Solid food suggestions for ultrarunning?

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Solid food suggestions for ultrarunning?

Postby giantsridge » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:47 am

I am having great results with the Hammer fueling products and strategies and have used a purely liquid/gel diet for a 50 mile ultra run. I'm working up to a 100 mile event and would like to have some 'solid food' options just in case I get that craving for something in the middle of the night. I've had luck with skinned boiled potatoes (cubed up and put in ziplock baggies). I'd like to formulate something with rice, but it would have to be in a form that could be eaten on the run, literally. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for this, or any other ideas for foods that work within the Hammer protocol for ultra-distance events?

Thanks in advance,
Shawn
giantsridge

Re: Solid food suggestions for ultrarunning?

Postby cmc » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:16 pm

Search for Allen Lim on YouTube. He has a video that explains how to make and wrap rice bars. (There may still be links from the saris website too.) You may be able to experiment and find a recipe that works for you. I'd never be able to eat something like that on a long run, but make a vegan version for cycling.

I live at 9000 ft. so cooking rice can be a challenge. My current method is to first mix everything in a pressure cooker and let it cook, then sit and cool, all without stirring. Everything sticks together pretty well that way.

I've found that it's good to measure everything and take notes so I can repeat a recipe or make adjustments in future versions. Sushi or Arborio (risotto) rice seem to work identically in the bars I've made.

Hope that helps,
Cathy
cmc

Return to Endurance Forum