Forum

Statins and Hammer Products

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Statins and Hammer Products

Postby denk60 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:25 pm

Are there any Hammer products that I should avoid taking due to conflicts with statin drugs such as Simvastatin?

Are there any Hammer products that contain Phytosterols that would be beneficial for lowering cholesterol?
denk60

Re: Statins and Hammer Products

Postby steve-born » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:05 am

Hello denk60 (Please post your first name so we'll know who you are!)

As you probably already know, statin drugs (such as the one you're taking - also known as HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors), are considered the most popular and powerful medications for improving cholesterol profile. They work by interfering with HMG-CoA reductase, an enzyme necessary for the body's manufacture of cholesterol.

One nutrient that I know of that, when taken in high doses, may be contraindicated with Simvastatin is niacin (vitamin B3). One site I reviewed stated:

"Niacin (nicotinic acid) is vitamin B 3. In high doses (often 1,500 mg daily or more), niacin is effective in lowering cholesterol levels. Its other form, niacinamide (nicotinamide), does not affect cholesterol."

"Combining high-dose niacin with statin drugs further improves cholesterol profile by raising HDL (“good”) cholesterol.Unfortunately, there are real concerns that this combination therapy could cause a potentially fatal condition of muscle breakdown called rhabdomyolysis."

"A growing body of evidence, however, suggests that the risk is relatively slight in individuals with healthy kidneys. Furthermore, even much lower doses of niacin than the usual dose given to improve cholesterol levels (100 mg versus 1,000 mg or more) may provide a similar benefit. At this dose, the risk of rhabdomyolysis should be decreased. Nonetheless, it is not safe to try this combination except under close physician supervision. "

REFERENCES:

Jacobson TA, Amorosa LF. Combination therapy with fluvastatin and niacin in hypercholesterolemia: a preliminary report on safety. Am J Cardiol. 1994;73:25D-29D.

Kashyap ML, Evans R, Simmons PD, et al. New combination niacin/statin formulation shows pronounced effects on major lipoproteins and is well tolerated. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2000;35(suppl A):326.

Wolfe ML, Vartanian SF, Ross JL, et al. Safety and effectiveness of Niaspan when added sequentially to a statin for treatment of dyslipidemia. Am J Cardiol. 2001;87:476-479.

Wink J, Giacoppe G, King J. Effect of very-low-dose niacin on high-density lipoprotein in patients undergoing long-term statin therapy. Am Heart J. 2002;143:514-518.

--- END ---

Every 7-capsule dose of Premium Insurance Caps (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... .pic1.html) contains 100 mg of niacin in the niacinamide form (the non-cholesterol influencing form of niacin). This is a small dose and one that, as just mentioned, does not affect cholesterol. Still, just to err on the cautious/conservative side, I would discuss the use of Premium Insurance Caps alongside your medication with your physician.

Two nutrients/supplements that I believe will be helpful for you while you're on this medication (and again, you need to discuss this with your physician) is Coenzyme Q10, which is Race Caps Supreme (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... e.rcs.html) and fish oils, such as the Carlson Norwegian Salmon Oil product (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... il.so.html).

Here's the information regarding these two substances:

Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is a vitamin-like substance that plays a fundamental role in the body's energy production and appears to be important for normal heart function. Statin drugs inhibit the enzyme necessary for the body's synthesis of both cholesterol and CoQ10, and as an inevitable part of their mechanism of action, reduce CoQ 10 levels in the body.Since these drugs are used to protect the heart, and since CoQ10 deficiency could in theory impair heart function, it has been suggested that this side effect may work against the intended purpose of taking statins. Furthermore, one might naturally hypothesize that some of the side effects of statins could be caused by this induced CoQ10 deficiency. Taking CoQ10 supplements does prevent the lowering of CoQ10 levels caused by statin drugs and accomplishes this without interfering with their therapeutic effects.

REFERENCES:

Ghirlanda G, Oradei A, Manto A, et al. Evidence of plasma CoQ 10 -lowering effect by HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Clin Pharmacol. 1993;33:226-229.

Mortensen SA, Vadhanavikit S, Muratsu K, et al. Coenzyme Q 10: clinical benefits with biochemical correlates suggesting a scientific breakthrough in the management of chronic heart failure. Int J Tissue React. 1990;12:155-162.

Mortensen SA, Leth A, Agner E, et al. Dose-related decrease of serum coenzyme Q 10 during treatment with HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors. Mol Aspects Med. 1997;18(suppl):S137-S144.

Ghirlanda G, Oradei A, Manto A, et al. Evidence of plasma CoQ 10 -lowering effect by HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Clin Pharmacol. 1993;33:226-229.

Folkers K, Langsjoen P, Willis R, et al. Lovastatin decreases coenzyme Q levels in humans. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1990;87:8931-8934.

Bargossi AM, Battino M, Gaddi A, et al. Exogenous CoQ 10 preserves plasma ubiquinone levels in patients treated with 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitors. Int J Clin Lab Res. 1994;24:171-176.

Three double-blind, placebo-controlled studies suggest that combining adding fish oil (or its constituent DHA) with statin drugs may result in additional improvement in lipid profile.

REFERENCES:

Durrington PN, Bhatnagar D, Mackness MI, et al. An omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid concentrate administered for one year decreased triglycerides in simvastatin treated patients with coronary heart disease and persisting hypertriglyceridaemia. Heart. 2001;85:544-548.

Meyer BJ, Hammervold T, Rustan AC, et al. Dose-dependent effects of docosahexaenoic acid supplementation on blood lipids in statin-treated hyperlipidaemic subjects. Lipids. 2007;42:109-115.

Davidson MH, Stein EA, Bays HE, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of adding prescription omega-3 fatty acids 4 g/d to simvastatin 40 mg/d in hypertriglyceridemic patients: an 8-week, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Clin Ther. 2007;29:1354-1367.

--- END ---

The two products in the Hammer Nutrition line that contain phytosterols are Phytomax (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... ax.pm.html), Hammer Soy (http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... n.soy.html), and Perpetuem and Sustained Energy, both of which contain soy protein.

Lastly, I would encourage you to read Dr. Bill Misner's article "Cholesterol -
A necessary nutrient, but with consequences deserving mention" which you can find at http://www.hammernutrition.com/EN/EN63/ ... holesterol -- lots of good information in there.

I hope this information will be helpful to you!

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re: Statins and Hammer Products

Postby denk60 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:42 pm

Thank you Steve for the information. I found the article on cholesterol pretty informative.
I have been taking a pharmaceutical grade CO-Q10 since I've been taking the statin, please note anybody who may read this, it doesn't matter if it's prescription statin or natural occurring, they are both statins.

I have using Bayer Heart advantage phytosterols which is one of the only supplements that I have found to be very specific and at a low cost. Unfortunately our shopping market no longer carries them so I had to order online at a lower cost I might add.

Genetics are such a wonderful gift, sometimes...

Kurt
denk60

Return to Endurance Forum